RE : Tires: bias vs. radial

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE : Tires: bias vs. radial
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:28:52 EST
Hi,

>> I just fitted my Mini with Hoosiers and I am extremely happy with them.
They are much more forgiving than radials.  Radials tend to hold to the
limit and then let go suddenly while bias tires break loose more gradually
and are much easier to drift.  My vote would be for Hosier bias-ply tires.
A good source of info is R&S Racing at http://www.rsracing.com  Good luck
and have fun! <<

This discussion is very interesting to me, I have been running
Hoosier Radials but as mentioned they are considered slicks
by some clubs. Also I would like to run bias ply slicks for autox
and my radial setup (camber) will not work well with bias tires.
So hopefully I could run bias DOTs on the track and bias
slicks for autox with minimal suspension adjustments.

I guess the bias tires people are using are the Hoosier Street TDs.
They have been around forever, hard to believe they are still competitive.
I have heard they are GREAT at the start of the race but go away
when they get hot. But I have a light car (2200) with lots of tire
(225 and 245) - would I have that problem?

It sounds like the bias ply may be safer on a 911, as the break-
away is more forgiving. Is this a true statement? I would be willing
to give up some speed to keep myself and my car out of the weeds.

Are the bias plies really capable of running with the new Hoosier
radials? And how do they compare in tread life and useful life?
My radials lasted a LONG time, wore evenly, and even when
nearly bald and very hard were quite fast on the track
(though they were terrible for autox by then).

Thank you for any feedback, I need to get tires soon!!!

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com

'73 911RS Replica (PCA club racing, SVRA + SCCA vintage racing)
http://members.tripod.com/~analogman/glen5050.htm

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com