virus alert, again

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: virus alert, again
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 13:41:43 -0400
Given that this came from our internal security group, who have NO sense of
humour, I'm passing it along, FWIW...

Brian

This is a message from the Security Team. Please read this message
 in it's entirety.

 Background:
 -----------

 This weekend, an enhanced version of the "Back Orifice" trojan
 horse was released to the General Public. The newest version is
 called "Back Orifice 2000" and is a threat to our network.

 Back Orifice 2000 is a "trojan horse" program that provides a
 third party with the ability to perform tasks on your desktop
 computer, access and copy your files, delete your work, monitor
 network traffic, and many other functions. All that must be done
 for an attacker to successfully install this software on your
 computer is to convince you to run the Back Orifice installation
 program, which will likely be diguised as a more harmless executable
 file (such as a screensaver) attached to e-mail, or found on USENET
 newsgroups.

 Unlike previous Back Orifice versions, Back Orifice 2000 will
 run on all version of Windows, including Windows NT workstations.
 It will also be more difficult to detect than previous versions
 of Back Orifice.
Brian Evans
Director, Global Sales
UUNET, An MCI WorldCom Company