Re: G-production not meeting criteria

To: Beaulieu Advertising & Design <beaulieu@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: G-production not meeting criteria
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:39:33 -0500
Beaulieu Advertising & Design wrote:

> Hi Fot'ers
>
>         On the weekend of the 3rd, I was running the Nationals at Lime Rock
> Park, and a little problem was brought to my attention.
>
>          The GP ranks (I'm sure FP too)  are not meeting the average quota
> (3.5 cars per race) of starts.... within  a year or two, if these numbers
> are not met, the classes will be dropped.
>
>         After 6 months of reviewing these lists from FOT, I realize most of
> you are Vintage drivers, but if not, I'm asking, why not give a National a
> try....
>
> Thanks for the time
>
> R #32 GP Spitfire
> (and street cruiser '62 MGA)

I very much respect your concern for the loss of this type of racing,
and I too lament its passing. I raced SCCA on and off for thirty years,
but I will not again race SCCA. I'm a big boy now, and do not go where I
am not wanted. I race Vintage, and have more fun in one season than in
my entire previous thirty years in SCCA.

SCCA has consciously and effectively chased away the traditional British
cars.

I do not envy SCCA's problem. Obsolete British Cars do not attract
manufacturers' support and theoretically do not attract spectators.
Therefore SCCA has consciously discouraged them and instead encouraged
current cars. Unfortunately, this has resulted in fields of $100,000
Miatas, endless parades of Neons, and full fields of Rabbitts, resulting
in good racing between dull cars. Interestingly enough, this has caused
vintage races like the upcoming BRIC (perviously Chicago Historics) at
Road America to significantly out-draw their previous jewel, the SCCA
June Sprints.

For me to race SCCA, I'd have to completely rebuild my car to make it
"legal" and would again have to be concerned at each and every race over
who is going to protest my car. Sorry. I do this for fun, not hassle.

--
uncle jack
TR4 racer -- yeehaa