Re: Spitfire High School Project

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@bigpond.net.au>
Subject: Re: Spitfire High School Project
From: Ralph Goodwin <rgoodwin@ipass.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 22:26:33 -0400
This won't be the first electric Spitfire as your comments show.  Randy Homquist
of Canadian Electric Vehicles Ltd. converted a 1963 Spit about 10 years ago.  He
was actually the person that initialy expressed concern about the rear end
standing up to the torque.

http://www.islandnet.com/~canev/spitfire.html

We have a pretty good handle on the electric conversion.  This will be the third
vehicle the kids have done.  The other two didn't use a clutch, we want to race
this on a more open track so we want to be able to shift gears quicker.  Yes, we
could leave the transmission out, but those who have usually regret it.  With a
DC power system, you need to change gears once if you want to drive at speed.
The controller for a AC system is way out of range for our budget!

Plenty of room for batteries!  With the advanced lead acid batteries that are
available now, we can keep the weight down around the original weight, actually
the front end will probably be a little lighter.

What we don't have a handle on is setting up the Spitfire for racing. Several of
you suggested the book "Triumph Offical Competition Manual - Spitfire".  I'm
going to order that.

Any other suggestions on tires, suspension, shocks, etc, etc, etc would be
greatly appreciated!  If you want to keep your secrets off the web, just e-mail
me directly!  :)

Thanks!  Ralph