Aston/Crash

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Aston/Crash
From: Clark Smith <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:31:21 GMT
Neil,

I believe the car you are refering to was sitting, happily, at Pebble Beach
yesterday.  I have footage of that car in winner's circle with all three
LeMans winning drivers celebrating in 1959, so I feel a kinship to it as
well.

The crash thread inspires me to ask how Rob Walton could be racing several
cars this weekend.  I started a thread after the Wine Country Classic about
a the rumor that he crashed his newly acquired (ex Orosco) Scarab into a
Lotus.  Why didn't the 13/13 rule apply?

Clark

> > Actually, it was Stirling Moss in the 1959 Le Mans winning Aston Martin.
> > We should all be ashamed of deriding the wrong auto racing icon.

Well I hope the DBR1/2 Aston wasn't too badly damaged. Was it? I have a
print of it at Le Mans, signed by Roy Salvadori and David Brown. I certainly
hope that isn't the only reminder I'll have of it.. :(

Cheers,
Neil
Sydney, Australia

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"
a video featuring vintage footage
of motor racing from 1957 to 1961.
Images and description at
http://www.dnf.com

My 1953 Devin-Porsche Restoration project
http://www.dnf.com/devin-porsche.html