Horses for courses

To: Walt Boeninger <Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com>
Subject: Horses for courses
From: David Laver <dlaver@ms.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:18:09 +0100
> I say race cars were meant to be raced, cars are meant to be driven.

Axes are for chopping down trees but we don't pull Roman remains out of the
display case and use them.  Space ships are for flying to space but we don't
pull them out the musem and take them for a spin round the moon every
weekend.  Then again I love seeing WWII fighter planes being displayed and
seeing Moss on determined charge alongside Martin Brundle at Goodwood last
year is a memory I'll take to my grave.

Some of these cars are precious icons. Many have so many new parts it
matters not.  I think the ones that got bumped were in the latter group so
who cares this time as long as nobody got hurt and everyone could afford the
bills.

For myself I have scruffy bitzas so race without concern for heritage but
alas also have shallow pockets so pick my races and run my races with
caution.  They are either low risk or lifetime experiances.  Being out on
the track with Moss and Hill would count as the latter. I know the risk,
think I'd take it, and hope I'd be mentally ready to react to them doing
extraordinary things arround me.  If the worst happened I'd probably have to
skip a season to make the repairs but I hope to have many more seasons
racing and don't expect to get that kind of chance very often.

People know the rules, the risks and rewards of particular events and
catagories.  The only lesson here is that if you don't know what you are
letting yourself in for then skip the event and watch to be ready to make
the informed choice next time.

I'm preparing an MG Midget for some higher risk sport on a more regular
basis but at lower downside cost. The Lancia Aurelia has to be saved for
premium events - it gives me regular pleasure on the road as well.  I still
love my Austin 7 for the right event but just don't have the time for the
rebuilds and the right events tend to require a lot of travel.

Horses for courses.

David