Rebuilding Brake Calipers

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding Brake Calipers
From: "MalcolmCox" <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:43:43 -0800
After barging into stripping, cleaning and starting to re-assemble the brake
calipers ( 2 seasons since Moss rebuilds, Lockheed, MGB) fitted to my MGA
(not by me, some other guy musta done it, honest!), I now find in the
instructions MUCH ado about NOT splitting the caliper units, merely changing
the seals while calipers are still bolted together.  Yeah, I know, RTFM.
Oh and if you do the unthinkable, then you MUST be sure to replace the clamp
bolts with genuine new BMC, etc etc, but they appear to be unavailable.

So now I am freaked out.
This seems like quite a fuss.  Since I am taking the full responsibility of
supplying a safe race car for my wife and myself to race, these unexplained
warnings scare me sleepless.

So please can someone tell me what the deal is.
Should I just gather up all the bits, stick em in a box, send them off as a
core and buy a professionally (I hope) assembled caliper units or proceed
with common sense, put em back together with the old bolts or scare up some
new grade 8's ( and by the way, what torque?) and keep praying for
springtime?

Feeling foolish...again
Malcolm Cox