Re: Small Milling machine

To: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: Small Milling machine
From: Mark Haynes <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 20:54:50 -0700
Derek Harling wrote:

> Need advice/recommendations.
>
> Some years ago, never having used a machine tool before, I bought a Taig
> micro-lathe. Since then have made or modified all kinds of things for my
> vintage race cars. Obviously mainly small parts - but I have gone "up to
> and beyond" the nominal capacity of the lathe by taking small cuts and s
> l o w feeds. Have even used the micro mill attachment quite a bit.
>
> And boy, is it nice to have more bench space by putting it back on the
> shelf when I've finished the job.
>
> Question
>
> I now need to make some suspension uprights from billet 6061. Biggest
> pieces would be maybe 6 x 4 x 1-1/2 and 4x4x5.  Should I even consider a
> mini mill such as the Taig or Sherline? Obviously I'd need to take small
> cuts etc.
>
> Or do I need to spring for a $1000 "real" bench-top mill with R8 collets
> etc - such as stocked by most mail order people and local supply houses?
>
> I'm not even thinking about a 3-in-1 lathe-mill-drill;  but if you think
> I should - pls tell me.
>
> Educate me.
>
> Derek

Derek-As a Prototype Machinist, and a vintage racer who has used my
talents for good, not evil, I can give you the following advice... ANY
mill that you buy ,short of a full-size mill, has it's limitations. You
will,as you've found, find them. The more you spend, the longer it'll be
before you realize it. On a practical note, most of the "mill/drill
tables" you see are glorified drill presses. If you require accuracy, a
DRO (Digital Read Out) CAN be attached to one, it makes life MUCH
easier. A DRO for a mill can be gotten for about $500. but it increases
your accuracy by about a factor of ten, as well as taking out a human
factor (did I start on .010 this time, or was it .110?)-Your memory. The
other shortcoming of htese mill/drill tables is the power factor, while
they may have the R-8 collet system, the HP isn't forthcoming from the
motor. If you do buy one of these, seriously consider looking at surplus
electric motors with the HP to drive a .75- 1" cutter through billet
6061-T651 aluminum.
Good Luck
Mark Haynes
Rmvr #162