RE: MGB info needed

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB info needed
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:30:39 -0800
Jack,
For street use the primary limitation will be the gasoline octane rating. I
had a MGTF that I had milled the head to the maximum and I found the only
gas I could run without pinging was Sunoco Ultra. I have a fairly stock head
on my 67 MGB and use almost any band premium grade. Of course you can also
play with the timing setting if you ping and retard it until the pinging
stops.

I also had a 73 MGB that I ran with a slightly hotter than stock Crane cam,
9:1 pistons and a tuned exhaust header. I ran Sunoco Ultra and set the
timing as far advanced as possible without ping and the car ran fairly
spirited for street use.

So my advice for street use is tuned exhaust header, single muffler exhaust
(get rid of the center muffler), 9:1 pistons, the street use Crane cam, and
K&N air filters (they make ones that go right into the stock holders). I
would also get rid of the vacuum advance and run a dual point Mallory or an
electronic conversion with more advance that the book calls for. I hope this
helps as MGBs are just great street cars and very tolerant for tinkering.

MGB, 33 years old
Morgan +4, 33 years old
Lotus Mk6, 47 years old

Regards,

        Phil Roettjer, over 50 and in need of grease fittings on my knees