Re: Steering box, I'm afraid....PART TWO

To: thomkuby@iwvisp.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering box, I'm afraid....PART TWO
From: Oddcarnut@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 22:31:27 EDT
In a message dated 8/21/00 9:57:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
thomkuby@iwvisp.com writes:

<< I've had the wheels/tires balanced, checked for runout TWICE. so I'm
 confident they aren't the problem... >>
DId you check both radial and lateral runout?  Have you tried swaping the
tires front to rear or tried another set of tires & wheels?  If all the
suspension hard bits are ok and the alignment is ok, I wouldn't rule out the
tires & wheels quite yet.  Tire uniformity other than obvious runout can
sometimes really upset the steering wheel causing toraional nibble (shimmy)
or steering wheel/column shake/vibration.

Try the front to rear swap if you haven't yet.  If that doesn't do it, try
wheels & tires from a car that doesn't have the problem.

Good luck,

Ken P.