Re: Steering box, I'm afraid....

To: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering box, I'm afraid....
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 20:42:00 -0700
     I just had this done for (gulp) $2200, including a new front oil seal,
timing cover gasket, reconditioned hub and rodded radiator.  The mechanic
completely rebuilt the box and used a new worm gear, peg and lower steering
shaft.  He had to remanufacture the lower stator tube.
     I think it might have been cheaper to  buy a used box from someone
like Triumphs Only; but the catch is, you get what they send you and you
can't return it.
     Either way, you have to take off the front clip.
     Good luck
John Cowan

At 03:26 AM 8/21/2000, thom kuby wrote:

>Guys,
>Well, this saga continues with the shimmying on this '59 TR3A.  I've now
>done everything except the steering box.  I'm afraid it's next...
>
>BTW-changing the motor/trans mounts out  made a huge difference...I can now
>feel the shimmy actually coming through the steering wheel.
>
>ok...now. Questions:
>1. Who does rebuilds?
>2. How much?
>3. Any alternatives? (using somebody else's box? etc)
>4. any other war stories, "gotchas" or "oh, by the ways" anyone cares to
>share at this point?
>
>I am going to talk to the cars' owner, and see how he feels about this
>development.  But I honestly think we're looking at a steering box program
>of some sort.
>
>Again, the car's owner and I thank you in advance...and I personally
>appreciate all the help I've realized from this list - great resource...
>
>Cheers
>Thom Kuby
>Porsche freak, with a TR3 in his garage...still

     Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan