Weber Carb Float Levels

To: "Vintage Race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weber Carb Float Levels
From: "Paul Tunley" <paultunley@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:27:30 +1300
Due to leakage problems I am changing my 40DCOE carbs from brass to plastic
floats. The problem I seek enlightenment on is how to set the float levels.
The brass ones were set with a gap from the top of the float to the carb top
(incl gasket) of 8.5mm, with the float arm touching on the needle ball but
not depressing the ball into the needle. However the plastic ones have an
entirely different shape float.
To avoid a lengthy session of trial and error, does anybody know of a
formula for the plastic floats?
Thanks in advance for the expected torrent of advice!
Cheers
Paul Tunley
1972 Fiat 125T
That's not rust! Its a lightweight body panel as made by the factory.