Re: Fuel Cells

To: brian@uunet.ca, lwdent@fwi.com, bandst@xtra.co.nz
Subject: Re: Fuel Cells
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:39:36 EST
In a message dated 2/17/01 6:40:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, brian@uunet.ca
writes:

<< CASC ( and probably SCCA, since CASC copies a lot of their regs directly
 from SCCA) have a strict definition of what a fuel cell actually is.  It
 has to be approved by FIA, or similar short list of bodies, and it
 invariably has to be the soft sided flexible bag type of cell, not the less
 expensive cross-linked plastic hard bodied cells.  it has to be installed
 in a hard container, etc. and it is probably lifed at a replacement age
 that makes it one of the more expensive bits  on the car,>>

This really isn't rocket science. FT-3 is the standard that any knowledgable
organization goes by. This has been the FIA standard for years for our kind
of racing. Any cell manufacturer can tell you which cells they make that meet
the FT-3 specification. If they don't know about FT-3, then don't buy it.

 FIA has higher ratings, but they apply to F-1 and other pro series. Just
stick to FT-3 and you will be sure to have the right item.

All manufacturers recommend bladders be replaced on a five year cycle. It
seems that foam most foam starts to break down after 6-8 years. I believe
that storage with the foam immersed in fuel extends it's life.

Jack Woehrle