Re: Book shop ideas - thanks

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Book shop ideas - thanks
From: Sciolto2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:02:30 EST
Thanks for all the great ideas - Motorbooks was almost as good as everyone
said - only downside was when asking about the March book I was met with a
blank stare and "is that a car (sir)?- haven't heard of that"  Fortunately
this comment was overheard by another (obviously older) assistant who came to
the rescue. Scary.... getting old makes you twitchy doesn't it!

As it turned out this was only proper bookshop I got to as my plan for
Chaters was curtailed by the England v Italy rugby crowd - however did get to
Beaullieu, Brooklands (unfortunately somewhat restricted by recent floods),
Shuttleworth, Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory (GMT et al), Imperial War
Museum, Lords (thats cricket's mecca for those in the dark) - all of which I
recommend .... most of this while the other half worked .... as well as a few
of the more obvious tourist spots.  Caught up wit a few old friends and
enjoyed a pint or two along the way. Not bad for a week I guess, no wonder I
slept well!

Next time to Donington and Silverstone (warmer then) as well as some of the
book shops identified here such as Chaters and hopefully a vintage race
meeting.

As someone mentioned, the Charing Cross area is a haven for book stores - I
spent hours wandering, browsing etc.
 If anyone is after an interesting read, try "Longitude" the story of
measuring longitude and in particular about the clocks involved - which are
on display, working perfectly, at the Royal Observatory, almost 300 years
later - well almost perfectly - Mk 3 version has a flaw which the builder
realized after 19 years of constructing it - yep 19 years, thats dedication
for you (or something).  Fascinating stuff - a great true story.

Again, thanks for all the ideas.

Cheers
Sciolto2
Ralt RT1 & Nalla