Vintage grid at Oregon Region SCCA & and a transmission

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vintage grid at Oregon Region SCCA & and a transmission
From: "Dave Franks" <franks@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:28:36 -0800
Oregon Region held their March Drivers School and Regional race event this
weekend. The vintage grid fielded 27 cars in three classes, Vintage Formula
/ Sports Racer (VFSR), Vintage production over 2 liter (VPO) and Vintage
Production under 2 liter (VPU). The weather was cool and cloudy but the
rains held off except for late Saturday afternoon. This allowed the school
participants to experience Portland International Raceway in both dry and
wet conditions.

The 15 minute practice sessions was held Saturday Morning with a 20 minute
qualifying and 25 minute race on Sunday.

My 67 Sprite ran quite well in the practice and qualifying sessions.
Unfortunately 5 laps into the race I lost 2nd and 3rd gears in my stock Moss
box. I have a quote on a rebuild using straight cut gears. My question is:
What are other Sprite drivers using and how does it hold up? I know the 2,3
gear failure is a common problem with the stock box when used for racing.
Your infinite wisdom is greatly appreciated. Three weeks until the next
race.
--
Dave Franks
franks@teleport.com