Re: Vintage Racing Rules and rose colored glasses

To: S800Racer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing Rules and rose colored glasses
From: Grant Reynolds <grant62@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:13:02 -0500
S800Racer@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/28/01 10:45:56 AM, dwaite@reboxx.com writes:
>
> << I certainly don't disagree with having rules and trying to keep things in
> check but all was not kosher in the good old days and I think folks should
> understand that. >>
>
>     Everyone knows that cheating is nothing new and as much a part of racing
> as rubber and gasoline.  One of the differences from the 'good old days' and
> vintage racing is that in the old days, there was more of a purpose for
> cheating.  When these cars were new, they went racing with the intention to
> win the race or their class.
>     But now, the purpose is supposed to be a bit different.  The purpose and
> focus now is supposed to be fun/preservation/exhibition.  If you cheated to
> win back then, you were using creative engineering to outrun the competition
> for money or points.  If you cheat to win in vintage racing, you're doing it
> because your ego can't cope with your lack of talent or a historically slow
> car.
>     I also don't buy the common excuse that "everyone ran with (insert your
> favorite cheater part) on their cars in the old days"  Sure, some guys did.
> But don't try to tell me that blatantly illegal cars were winning SCCA
> Nationals and not getting protested.  The good and fast cars were NOT running
> incorrect cylinder heads, brakes, carbs, etc., etc.  They were primarily well
> prepared and well driven machines that earned their way to the front of the
> grid LEGALLY.  Any cheating on these cars had to be very clever indeed not to
> get spotted and protested.  (Of course, some of these cars were prepared by
> very clever and brilliant mechanics.)
>     Since where we finish in a vintage race is less important than it would
> have been in our cars heyday, we should have a higher standard of car
> preparation in terms of legality.  Part of the thrill of vintage racing is
> knowing (if your car is period correct) that what you are doing is really
> like it was in the old days - that you are racing a true vintage or historic
> car.
>
>     Doug Meis

Hear! Hear! Well said, indeed. It has always been a truism in SCCA
racing that the cheating starts at midpack. I've been an SOM at a number
of engine teardowns, mostly the result of "that cheap car can't possibly
go as fast as my expensive one!" Standard result: sub-par legal engine;
needs valve job; cam lobes worn, stock cam instead of legal regrind,
etc. Reason for speed: chassis setup, driver.
Grant