Re: 10ths and VMC

To: pkrause@attglobal.net, vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 10ths and VMC
From: LMR356@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:38:38 EST
In a message dated 3/31/01 9:31:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pkrause@attglobal.net writes:

> Hello all from beautiful, cold and snowy Denver, where the Vintage
> Motorsport Council is meeting. Film at 11...

I for one would like to see the film at 11!   The VMC could be invaluable
"clearing house" to us all..but seems like just an excuse to have a social
gathering on someone else's dime once a year.   I gave up my VMC membership
after 5 years....when I got maybe one or two mailings...which said very
little... except that everyone was having a great time together...discussing
10/10th driving and why cheating has escalated in the vintage ranks.   What
else is new?

I was a VMC member affiliated through the  VSCCA, the oldest of the vintage
racing groups....a racing group that has yet to recognize the need for 1)
any type of required medical exam for a driver  2) updated Snell helmets (
still sanctions a Snell 85 SA), 3) no date checks on safety belts/harnesses (
could be from 6-15 years old) 4)  no requirement for arm restraints in an
open wheel car. 5) No mandatory roll bars..only recommended). 6)  no
mandatory fuel cells...only recommended.    Yikes.....when is their luck
going to run out?

When I first started vintage racing in 1984...perhaps some of the above might
have been acceptable for the period...but time has certainly marched on ( 15
years plus)  and one would have to be an absolute fool to actually go wheel
to wheel with those standards. Fortunately most drivers have a medical, have
a roll bar, have a fuel cell and race in other organizations which require
belts to be replace every 5 years.

Too bad...I really like the VSCCA...but worry about the liability issues and
who/what  I am actually racing against.    For that reason, I have limited my
racing with the VSCCA to just a few selected low keyed events.

Peter...I am also a VDCA member, so why not open your mouth as my
representative (I know you are not a shy individual)  and read my letter to
the group ...for a response?    Perhaps there are others out there that feel
the way I do too?      BTW:  I'm a big boy...and can take a rebuttal!

Peter, have a nice time....and enjoy!

Lee Raskin, Esquire
Brooklandville, MD
Arnolt-Bristol and 356ers