Oil Circulation Problem

To: 356talk <356talk@356registry.org>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Circulation Problem
From: Phil Trenholme <dim1@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:47:01 -0700
Experts,

Anyone have experience with air getting into a race car oil system and
causing circulation problems?

My 63 Porsche has 2 coolers behind the front fenders (no cooler at the
engine), an Accusump, and full flow filter. This system has been on the
car for 6 years of vintage racing. Oil capacity is 9+ qts.

Several times, after oil changes, oil does not seem to circulate from
the engine to the coolers and filter. This is in spite of oil pressure
readings at the dash gage and Accusump gage.

As the engine warms up there is no heat in the coolers or filter at the
front of the car although the gages indicate pressure. The problem seems
to cure itself the three times it has occurred but has prevented me from
racing twice. Presently I am trying to cure the 3rd occurrence which
resulted in towing home from Laguna after two laps of practice.

Phil