Vintage Racing History

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vintage Racing History
From: "Bob Schmitt" <bob.schmitt@sainthood.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:43:05 -0700
Hi to all -

A few weeks ago, there was a post about an interview:

> Wonderful interview with Ray Heppenstall on the Watkins Glen library site:

> http://www.lesvoila.com/backups/watkins2/transcripts/rayheppenstall.htm

It was a tremendous document, but I thought it had a few glitches, so I
wrote to the International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen and
got the following note:

"Thanks for the feedback Bob.
Spelling is always a problem with oral history.  Ray had reviewed the
transcript, but I noticed that
his own spelling was not always perfect. We'd be glad to hear from you.
Thanks. regards,
Phil McCray
Director and Curator
International Motor Racing Research Center at Watkins Glen
610 S. Decatur Street
Watkins Glen NY 14891-1613
607-535-9044 (phone)
607-545-9039 (fax)
research@racingarchives.org "

I sent my (supposed) corrections to Phil as a Word document with revision
marks and suggest anyone else with some knowledge of history should offer to
do the same.  I know hardly anything of substance, and my corrections were
primarily spellings of names & places.

On another topic, I have a Frazer Nash web site (www.FrazerNash-USA.com) and
am interested in history of any type about these cars, especially early US
racing history.  I'm also looking for information on the "missing" 1952
Sebring winner, a Le Mans Replica.  Here is one 1952 report with a bad
photo:  http://www.frazernash-usa.com/160-52-Sebring.htm

It seems this car will be featured on the 2002 Sebring program, poster and
t-shirt(s), so there is a semi-official interest in better photographs and
history.  Of course, it would be great to find the car!

Of the 90 "projects" built by AFN postwar, only four cars seem to be
currently "missing".  Thanks!

Bob (my Mille Miglia is NOT missing, just "resting")