Re: Spridget stubs weak?

To: David.Laver@morganstanley.com
Subject: Re: Spridget stubs weak?
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:59:28 -0500
On Thu, 31 May 2001 18:38:02 +0100 David Laver
<David.Laver@morganstanley.com> writes:

> Spridget stubs weak?  I checked the place that prepares my car
> (narrow
> radials) and he tells me in the UK series on 10in wide slicks it
> hasn't been
> a problem.  However wheel bearings overheat so the grease needs to
> be good
> and checked on a regular basis.
>
> David

Gee, as much as I have heard about cracked stub axles on Spridgets, I
thought it was conventional wisdom!  I'm too new in the game to have
personal experience, but this is something I have heard from at least a
couple of long-term Spridget racers.  One told me that it was common
practice when he raced Spridgets in the SCCA (70's and 80's) to shot-peen
the radius of the axle to relieve stress and prevent cracks.  Supposedly
current racers will use competition axles as available from Winners
Circle.  The following quote is from their catalog (granted, they are
trying to sell a product):

"Stronger swivel axels [sic] are a must for a race car these days, the
reason being two-fold.  Age is working against all of us as but in this
dialogue we will concern ourselves with axles only.  The more they are
used, more chances of them breaking.  Yes, they do break off!!!  The
other reason they break is the higher cornering forces put on them by
better suspension systems and tire compounds.  Construction:  The old
stub axle is removed from a used swivel axle and a new stub axle [steel
heat treated and checked for correct dimension] is pressed in and welded
in place."

I have found cracks in at least one axle myself, and have heard about a
number of others, so it seems that this is a case of better safe than
sorry.  I would definitely magnaflux them between race seasons.  I'd hate
to be the one of ten or twenty that broke an axle and ended up greasy
side up on the track.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD