vintage spirit, from RMVR page...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, varac@yahoogroups.com
Subject: vintage spirit, from RMVR page...
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:13:37 -0400
http://pub3.ezboard.com/brmvr, which I just found and am having fun
browsing, yielded this gem, which I decided to share with you all.

Brian

HEPCAT posted....on RMVR board, the following missive:

Dig it!

Hey, Daddio, did you dig that crazy bit from Keith Davidson in the 'Apex'?
Now, that cat digs the vibe.
Dig: whether we admit it or not, man, we're all here 'cause we craved these
old cars in their day. Same goes for the drivers, man. Like, catch the
flat-top on Mark Donahue? Righteous. How cool was iceman Masten Gregory?
And, Walt Hane is one gone cat; he was there and did it real. And did it
real, real cool (go read the Trans Am series in Vintage Motorsport).

Point is: the whole 50s-60s racing scene was the coolest, and that's what
brought you to this. And Keith is right; we shouldn't lose it. From James
Dean to Dean Batchelor. Didn't matter if it was Porsches, Cobras or bad,
gow-jobs on the streets, man, the car scene was The End.
Right-o-rooni.
Now Keith, with his Bad-ass Falcon (and that is way bad) has hit the nail
on the head. We gotta appreciate the Kahunas and value our history or we
lose what made this racing unique.
Man, last week I was in SoCal and stopped at the Bob's Big Boy in Toluca
Lake. Amazing: old dudes from the 40s and 50s, still with their "Choppers"
and "Throttlers" and "Outriders" club car-coats, and Sideburn-Circus
20-year-olds with theirs, showing off evrything from pristine Speedsters,
to Deuces, to cherry '57 Olds converts to Mustangs and T-Birds. And dig it,
the youngsters revere the oldsters and keep true to the old-style vibe.
Man, it was fun and it IS cool.
So, too, Goodwood in England. Man, even the Limeys dig the scene. At
Goodwoood everyone, even spectators and cops, are required to be
'in-period': clothes, hairstyles and all.

Bottom-line: this is Vintage, Daddio. What value is a second at SCR if its
not True? If you can't dig that crazy 40s-50s-60s scene, and all that goes
with it (skinny tires, 'underpowered' cars, archaic technology), then
blast, man. Blow this joint 'cause you'll just bring evrybody down. On the
other hand, dig it, learn the history and go with it, and all is
copascetic- and, cool, man, cool.

Brian Evans
Director, Canada
MCI Wholesale Internet Services