Re: Proud to be American

To: <TLKSRHOME@aol.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Proud to be American
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@home.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:19:07 -0700
Along with Kevin (below), I feel the need to vent my anger at those who
would harm innocent persons.

I learned of the taste of blood and the sound of a shot fired in anger in
the central highlands of South Vietnam. And as recently as three weeks ago
today, fellow Officer John Bohach of the Reno, NV Police Department: sniped
by a convicted felon "who wasn't going back to prison".

I recall, too, processing the scene of the Sierra Chemical explosion in
1997. It wasn't widely publicized because only four people lost their lives,
but the explosion was four times the size of the Oklahoma City bombing.

Our very nature as American's is the toleration of those who condemn what we
have fought for, earned and died for. But make no mistake about one thing:
if your gonna take us out you better do it on the first punch cause you
ain't gonna get in a second one!! To anyone who wants to truly understand
the might, AND UNITY, of America and Americans, just offend us!

My deepest sympathy to the families, friends and loved ones of those who
perished as the result of yesterdays terrorist activities. My deepest
respect and admiration to those working since then to rescue the victims and
to apprehend those responsible.

Carl McLelland
    Deputy Sheriff,
    Washoe County Sheriff's Office,
    Reno, NV

    CSRG #247, series 1 Sunbeam Alpine
                         Lotus 61 formula Ford

As melodic as it may sound, I find a bit of solace in the words to the song
"In America", by the Charlie Daniels Band:

    From the Sound up in Long Island out to San Francisco Bay,
        And everything that's in between them is our home,
    We may have done a little bit of fightin' amongst ourselves,
        But you outside people best leave us alone,
    Cause we'll all stick together,
        and you can take that to the bank,
     That's the cowboys and the hippies,
        And the rebels and the yanks,
    You just go and lay a hand, On a Pittsburgh Steeler fan,
        And I think your gonna finally understand.......