Al Moss Injured

To: "Vintage Race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Al Moss Injured
From: "Bob Schmitt" <bob.schmitt@sainthood.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:31:18 -0700
Hi all -

I got the following (lightly edited) message from Al Moss - you may wish to
contact him directly:  racermoss@sedona.net

"The weekend of September 22nd the annual historic Races at Elkhart Lake,
Wisconsin, will be held.  This year they are featuring MG and have over 60
MGs entered.  I was invited back to be the Grand Marshal, show old racing
films Friday and Saturday nights, sign posters, etc. and have been looking
forward to this since March.  Several other MGs are coming from the coast.
Pete & Fran Thelander were coming by with their NE and we were planing on
traveling together  (1830  miles--3 1/2 days.)

For once, I had the TC all race-prepared well in advance and Tuesday
afternoon I was loading gear into the Explorer.  I dropped down to the
ground, landed on my right foot which twisted under me.  I thought I might
have damaged something but chose to ignore it--for a few hours.  I went to
the hospital for X-rays and when the technician came back with a wheelchair,
I sort of figured something might be amiss. Seems I badly fractured one of
the vital bones.

On Wednesday I had surgery to reset the damn thing and install 2 screws
(Whitworth, naturally).  I now have a big, thick, bandage assembly from just
below the knee to my piggies.  I can't put ANY weight on it, nor can I bend
anything below the knee.  When I came home from the hospital, I tried to go
up a few steps on the crutches, started to topple forward, lowered my head
to stop, put it through an antique picture, breaking the glass.  All I could
do was laugh.

In the words of the immortal bard, Tazio Nuvolari: 'Motor Racing Can Be
Dangerous'".