Re: Safety Harness'

To: Mactds@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety Harness'
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:26:47 -0500
I don't have the article but I do have a video of a lecture by Dr. John
Melvin, who is preeminent in the race car safety field, and he discusses
this.  The short answer is that 6 point belts, using rear anchored crotch
straps, perform far better than 5 or 6 point systems that anchor
forward.  The ideal is the type that anchor behind the lap belt attachment
points, such as the Willans F1 type systems.  The video tape shows the
difference in performance in dramatic style, through video of controlled
crash tests.  The key difference is not the number of straps, but rather
the location of the anchor points of the crotch straps (assuming the rest
of the system is correctly installed, of course), so just having six straps
is not the critical difference.

Cheers, Brian

At 10:36 PM 11/7/01, Mactds@aol.com wrote:
>Hi Listers!
>
>Does anyone recall an article written in Victory Lane regarding a study done
>on 5-point harness' vs. 6-point harness'?
>
>I am looking for a copy of the article.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Regards, Maura MacEachern
>
>///