Last Races at Meadowdale Raceway???

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Last Races at Meadowdale Raceway???
From: Ross Fosbender <rossf@interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:17:58 -0600
It's bench racing season, at least up here in the northern climes...

Does anyone know when and what the last motor race at Meadowdale
International Raceway, Carpentersville, IL was?  Conventional wisdom
says the track closed for good at the end of 1968, but I have had two
recent reports of SCCA and drag race events there in 1969.

Does anyone have any concrete information on this?  We had a Midwestern
Council race planned for the 3.27 or 2.2 mile course for October, 1968.
We had to cancel due to track surface break-up and I always thought that
was Meadowdale's swan song.

A 1969 MC newsletter reports cancellation of three tentative Meadowdale
dates but also notes that "Chicago Region has cancelled the balance of
their dates (at MIR)".  Did SCCA actually run any races there in '69?

This information is for my Meadowdale website and a book on the track
being written by Bill Pohnan of Streamwood, IL.

Ross Fosbender, Ottawa, IL
www.meadowdaleraceway.homestead.com
Wilmot Hills class of '65