Re: Discs or drums

To: meredydd francke <mereken@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Discs or drums
From: Mike <Michael_Gee@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 11:42:21 -0800
meredydd francke wrote:

> If the brakes were good enough to stop you when the
> car would originally have been raced, why wouldn't
> they be good enough now?  (Assuming you have replaced
> worn out stuff)

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.  In another email I explained that when the cars
were designed they were intended for the street not the track.  The
brakes were sufficient for ordinary purposes.  However, when buyers put
them on the track the cars were out of their environment.  And now they
are still out of their environment.
I also mentioned my racing experience in a TR Spitfire with the unbraced
rear suspension.  That, for sure, was not intended for the track, and I
soon discovered how very difficult it was to control at speed in
unusually sharp hair-pin curves.  After that I switched to a truly
built-for-the-track Cooper-Climax and felt much more secure.
One other factor is that many new drivers in vintage racing start off
with less expensive cars such as TR's and Sprites etc.  They can't
afford the more expensive models and thus should have the extra safety
of disc brakes for obvious reasons..
Cheers,
Mike