Hewland Fretting

To: "lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com" <lotus-cars@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Hewland Fretting
From: keith franck <kdfranck@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:03:23 -0700
Our Mk5 has always had some fretting corrosion happening within the gear
clusters and I'm wondering if anyone's solved this problem. There's
additives available which might slow or prevent it but the ratcheting
type limited slip unit might be adversely affected as a result. The
other possibility which comes to mind is an inert gas purge of the
oxygen out of the gearbox prior to it's operation. We're using Redline
synthetic gearlube. Anyone have some expertise on this subject?
--
Keith Franck