Winter Project Painting My Trailer

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Winter Project Painting My Trailer
From: "Bob Spruck"<bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:14:00 -0500
I would like some advice from experienced Listers about what to use and how to
go about painting my trailer this winter. It is a 7'x14'open "landscaper's"
trailer I have used for the past 10 years to haul my 1967 MG Midget. It is
made of 2"x1"x1" steel channel and angle iron with a 2x6 wooden deck. It has
surface rust from being exposed to the elements. The rust is heaviest on the
underside so I plan to remove the wood planks and grind/sand all the rusted
areas. Anyone have experience with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator or Chassis
Black or anything else. I would prefer to apply paint with a brush rather than
spray it on. I plan to do it in my garage with temperatures in the 40s or 50s.
Any tips on mechanical and chemical surface prep? Can I paint over the base
coat, with what, and how?

If I get the trailer looking too good, I might have to paint the race car
next!

Happy Holidays to all.

Bob