Re: Charles Moran, Jr.

To: 356drb@indy.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Charles Moran, Jr.
From: LMR356@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:29:00 EST
In a message dated 3/6/2003 6:02:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, 356drb@indy.net
writes:

> I am particularly interested in the later years of his
> life.

Brett....in the mid 1950s Charles Moran, Jr. was driving sports racers.  He
won the SCCA B  Sports Racing Title in 1955.  Around the same time, he was
instrumental in lobbying Gen. Curtis LeMay to allow racing on the SAC bases.
This was a very significant transitional time in American motorsports
....which led up to the formation of some permanent road courses, such as
Laguna Seca & Riverside on the West coast, and Bridgehampton, Lime Rock,
Malboro, & VIR on the East coast --providing some great venues for regional
and national events.

Charles Moran's name appears as an entrant at Sebring in 1953, 1957,1958 and
1959.    The last three years, he entered his own Lotus XI LeMans..which you
are slightly familiar with.    I noted that he co-drove with Dr. and Peggy
Wyille in 1957.  I met the Wyilles at VIR in 2000...and perhaps they can
share information/answer your questions about Moran. Suggest you email the
VIR historian extraordinaire, Nick English for addresses.  Nick@3rdTech.com
... might want to take a look at the VIR site as well.
http://dega.cs.unc.edu/~nick/new/vir.html

Lee Raskin
Arnolt-Bristol & 356ers