1275s in Bugeyes, now period correct

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: 1275s in Bugeyes, now period correct
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:55:04 GMT
I find some of the responses on keeping "period correct" and "recreating the
old days" somewhat ironic given a program I saw on the Speed Channel some time
back.

It was made in the early 70's and it was a documentary that compared the racing
efforts of Mark Donohue's team and that of a shoe-string racer of Bugeyes in
SCCA.

It was really fascinating, including conversations between the Bugeye owner and
his family about financing the effort and the paddock talk about who was a bad
driver, etc.  At one point the fellow acknowledged that he had about $6000
invested in his car, which had to be a huge sum in those days.  It didn't LOOK
like it, though, as he was campaigning a light-colored (grey or blue) Bugeye
with a well-bashed white bonnet.  Most of the competitors were driving
similarly trashy looking cars with hand painted (or taped) numbers.  So if you
really want to be period correct, go out to your Bugeye with a sledge hammer
and create some racer rash, rip off those vinyl numbers and get out the masking
tape, and repaint at least some panels so they don't match!  And, of course,
you'll have to grow stringy long hair and sideburns, wear Converse tennis shoes
and frayed bell bottoms.

If you don't believe me, check out Burt Levy's old pictures on
http://www.lastopenroad.com/.  Booger-flipping optional.

David Littlefield