AH 3000 Suspension Mods

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: AH 3000 Suspension Mods
From: "Gary Black (Hexagon Transportation Consultants)"
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:49:22 -0700
Has anyone out there tried different things to improve handling on an
Austin-Healey 3000? Mine seems like it could be made to handle better, but
I don't have much experience trying different things (although I do have
lots of driving experience). I am running pretty much stock suspension,
with the following mods: "heavy duty" Armstrong lever shocks (from Apple),
7/8" front sway bar, shock towers modified for about 1-1/2 degrees negative
camber, car lowered about 1 inch with spacers. I am running 72 spoke wire
wheels with Hoosier Vintage TD tires size 5.00 x 15. With this setup, my
car leans a lot and slides a lot. I have driven my friend's MGA, which can
corner at faster speeds. I suspect some of that difference may be due to
weight since an MGA weighs about 500 pounds less than a Healey 3000.
Perhaps my car is typical of how Healeys handle, but I don't know. I wasn't
around in the days when they were raced new.

Does anyone have any improvement tips that are vintage race legal?

Gary K. Black
HEXAGON TRANSPORTATION CONSULTANTS, INC.
40 S. Market Street, Suite 600
San Jose, CA 95113
Tel: 408-971-6100
Fax: 408-971-6102