Re: Cheatin' Dog boxes (WOOF)

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheatin' Dog boxes (WOOF)
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:23:02 EDT
In a message dated 5/21/03 11:55:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
MHKitchen@aol.com writes:

> I would reluctantly admit that a dogbox could be a slight performance
> advantage (especially if your car has one and its running, while your
> competitor is
> laying under his car changing transmissions), but it just ain't worth the
> trouble to bother running synchro boxes.  I know of more Cortina's with dog
> boxes
> than synchro's and have no problem with them using them.

Myles,

SVRA has allowed alternate gear sets of any origin in original cases almost
since the beginning. The intent at that time was to avoid impossible
policing. Jack Knights for one makes such gear sets for almost any
application. They are pricey but but so is a Maytag.

For the last several years we have allowed alternate gearboxes that are
functionally equivalent to the standard item. This means you can put a junk
yard Toyota 4-speed in your TR4 or whatever. If your car has an optional
overdrive, you can have a 5-speed with OD 5th gear. We put a 50# weight
penalty on cars so equipped. I don't know how many of our people have made
such conversions but I see no downside issue in the race results.

I'm sure you know about the Quaife Rocket box. This is the ultimate coversion
for Fords and it can be made to fit other makes. This set-up is actually
period correct as the basic unit can be traced back to Zackspeed I think.

Jack Woehrle