[Fwd: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds]

To: Vintage <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds]
From: Walt Boeninger <walt.boeninger@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:42:03 -0700
Fwded with permission!
---------

Walt

Your SAAC position on Cobra's is very clear and no doubt
the  result of much work over the years. Not being a Cobra
owner or enthusiast your desciption seems very clear to me
-
1 - original Cobras - built 1961-68
2 - genuine recent Cobra's - the 4000/7000 series
3 - replicars - high quality, excellent copies
4 - kit cars - all the others.

Fine so far.

Now what happens if the worst happens and an original is
extensively destroyed? Of course the serial tag
miraculously survives!

How much of a rebuild or renovation is acceptable? If the
Kirkham body is in fact the best available and that gets
used - and then - and and and - etc etc etc - you know
where I'm going. Everything is perfect but not original. It
becomes the same situation as a race car that is raced and
rebuilt over and over again.

You (SAAC) may have rules/guidelines on this sort of thing
- and other groups (for different cars) may have theirs -
but in the end I suspect it is like trying to prove that a
deity exists - you can't do it - you just have to believe.

Derek