Right hand drive Sunbeam Alpines

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Right hand drive Sunbeam Alpines
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 11:14:41 -0400
I thought I might post this to the digest in hopes that it might jog
somebody's
mind or bring back a memory of a right hand drive Sunbeam Alpine racing
in the mid-to late 60's in the SCCA.

I have been searching for the 6 Sebring factory cars of which three
raced in
1961 and three raced in 1962.   Amazingly, I have located 2 of the 1962
factory cars.
I just can't seem to find any of the 1961 cars.     I keep thinking one
of these cars might
still be laid up in a garage.  Ok, I am an optimist... but one of the
1962 cars was in a backyard
in New Jersey when I found it - not far from where it was originally
sold.

All of these were RHD (big fin Alpines) so they were somewhat unusual
for the U.S.  and most
continued on racing in SCCA races after running at Sebring.   Here is
what I do know...

1961 Sebring Alpines
1)   Ralph Bowyer of Salt Lake City, UT  bought one right after
Sebring....
He raced it for a couple of years and it has never been seen again.
(this car was featured in a Motor Trend Article in Jan. 1962, page 64)

2) Bill Buchman Reports a Sarasota, FL Rootes dealer may have bought
one according to reports...
Bill raced up until 1965 according to my records that I can find.

3) Totally unknown.  My best guess would be the West Coast. But there
really aren't any clues.

1962 Sebring Alpines
1) The only information I have on the missing one was that Bud Rose's
dealership in Walnut Creek bought the car and then it was sold
to "Danny Van Zile" who may have flipped it in the mud at Vacaville (?)
probably around 1964/65. It didn't sound like the car was destroyed.

Does the names Bowyer, Buckman or Van Zile strike a cord with anyone?
If you remember a RHD Alpine racing in your area during the 60's and
70's please drop me a line. Perhaps it could lead to one of these cars.

Sincerely,

Steve Silverstein