Re: SCCA rules

To: pkrause@attglobal.net, vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SCCA rules
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:02:51 EDT
In a message dated 10/6/03 8:11:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pkrause@attglobal.net writes:

> In my opinion, your club may vary, the rule is clear, no adjustable spring
> perches were permitted for Production class cars as of 1972 (actually 4/73,
> as well).
>
> Practically, as long as the control arm pick-up point and length have not
> been altered on a strut type suspension, the "coil over"
> adjustable perch
> isn't going to do anything except make it easier to corner weight the car.
> What do you do? Outlaw camber plates as well? It's been a non-issue, as far
> as I can see, for some time...

To add some insight to this issue, the Spitfire/GT6 shock always was a
rudimentary "coil over" design. It just did not have an adjustable threaded
perch.
It has always been permitted to add spacers or cut springs to achieve proper
ride height and balance, although corner weighting is a relatively new (last 20
years) procedure for racers at our level.

The MacPherson struts used on the 240z is certainly a "coil over" design and
again shims and spring replacement or cutting was permitted.

The real issue is threaded adjustability. I believe that it would have been
permitted to alter the shock to achieve adjustablity as long as the
modifications were totally on the shock and the complete assemble could still
be mounted
in the standard chassis fixtures.

When this was actually done I am not certain, but I am certain that
BRE/Sharpe/Group 44/et.al. would have been the first.

JR Mitchell may have the answer. I have copied him.

Jack Woehrle