Tires.....

To: "Vintage race (Vintage race)" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tires.....
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:23:03 -0500
This is off the topic of vintage racing but I can't think of a group
that would have better advice.

I have a Nissan Murano ( which I like very much) which has Goodyear
Eagle LS 235 x 65 x 18 on it. They are very nice riding and quiet, but
on very wet roads and when we get a little snow or ice they don't
inspire a lot of confidence. It isn't so much traction starting (though
I wouldn't describe them as great) but it is more stopping and steering
control. In moderate rain on an expressway I just don't feel comfortable
above 60.

I've tried to find a true wet / winter tire but this is apparently an
odd size. I've found nobody but Goodyear making a tire in this size. One
possible alternative I've located is the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV
tire. It has great specs for wet and snow conditions and is pretty quiet
for this type of tire. My problem is that this model is only available
in 255 x 70 x 18 and a 275 x 55 x18.  My Goodyear Eagle has a Overall
diameter of 30". The Michelin 255 had a diameter of 32.2" and the 275
has a diameter of 30.1. My fender wells appear to have quite a bit of
clearance so my guess is that either could probably fit but my greatest
concern is the contact patch. The 255 probably has 8 to 10% more, and
the 275 18 to 20%  area than mine. Since my hope is to improve
performance in wet and snow I am concerned that the larger contact patch
may defeat my objective.

Does anybody have any facts to offer? Lacking facts, I'll settle for
opinions (of which this group usually has plenty). Does anybody have
personal experience with the Michelin Cross Terrain?