Re: Daytona 24 Hours

To: Jim Hill <jrhill@chorus.net>
Subject: Re: Daytona 24 Hours
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:48:45 -0600
Here goes...

----- Original Message -----

> How do race teams turn a profit on events like this?

Since when does racing = profit?  How many major manufacturers have pulled
out of various types of racine because it is too expensive?  It's an
opportunity to
have an incredible rolling lab, and build a "brand image".

> Is the prize and
> appearance money from Rolex that great?

Nope.

> Are there really sponsors
> out there
> who think their exposure to Speed Channel viewers and the walk-in
> race crowd
> will justify the hideous expense of developing and running a
> prototype car?

No.  But there are rich people with companies that like to expense advertising.

> Or are there dozens of modern-day Cunninghams and Casners willing to
> bankroll the teams just for sport?

Well, not quite, but this is more like it.  There are very few professional
sports car
racers in North America.  Do you remember a fellow that drove at Daytona/Sebring
a few years back named Charles Morgan?  He's CEO of a rather successful company
in  my home state.  He never made money off of it, it's a sport, just like us
with old
MGs or whatever, but with far more powerful/rich men (in general) playing.

I don't know about dozens, but look at Don Panoz.

> And am I the last man alive who thinks that real "sports cars"
> should be
> open-cockpit cars --

If I'm going to risk shunting out at 180 I think I'd rather be in a GT.  :)

>... with two seats and enough ground clearance
> that they
> could (at least theoretically) be driven on public roads?

I believe most of the prototypes have two seats.  For many years even the
prototypes (at
Sebring at least) had to have room for a suitcase!  But let's be honest, even
Lola T70s, GT40s
and 917s weren't streetable.

The problem today is just too much tech...and not enough who are interested in
sports cars.

I think some of the best modern road-course racing is Speed's own series based
on
street cars (I don't get Speed anymore so I don't know if they are still
running that!)

Take care,

-Keith Wheeler
"Team Sanctuary"