Re: Transport from Thunder Bay Canada to San Diego

To: Mark <mark@adigitalphotolab.com>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transport from Thunder Bay Canada to San Diego
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:49:54 -0700
At 01:36 PM 6/26/2006 -0700, Mark wrote:
>I couldn't resist a possible H-Mod candidate sitting in a field in
>Thunder Bay Canada....now I got to get it to Southern California.
>Any ideas, half empty trailers coming to the Historics, or anybody
>have any recommendations for a reliable transport company to cross
>the border with a
>non running car? Any advice for bringing a car across the border?

I haven't looked at the requirements for a couple of years but I remember
that it didn't seem impossible or very expensive to cross the border.
What sticks in my mind (or perhaps it's my sticky mind) is that you
might have to clean it before you bring it across.  I just don't remember,
but I'd get Googling, and determine the current requirements,
both Canadian and US.

I've never been able to justify paying someone for transport.  My last
car was a fly in, and a Uhaul back.  I'm easily entertained, I thoroughly
enjoy a ride on an airplane with a road trip to secure another pile of
rusty possibilities.  I just wish I could ever remember how easy it is
to buy 'em and how hard it is to fix 'em.

My advice?  Be prepared.  I've done this sort of thing before and it has
never been the same process.  Both the rules and the enforcement
changes.  Be prepared to be challenged and if not; you've
been granted (one) lucky day.

Steve Shipley