[Vintage-race] SimpleSevens Update, 1275 Cam Selection help, etc...

To: lotus@se7ens.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: [Vintage-race] SimpleSevens Update, 1275 Cam Selection help, etc...
From: John Donohoe <sevenamerica@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 05:28:11 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings fellows,
Firstly, a couple nice Sevens have been added to SimpleSevens recently, as
well as a couple of 'parts for sale' listings... if you haven't been by to
check it out, do :-)
http://www.simplesevens.org
Second, some of you know I'm building a 'fast road' 1275 for temporary use in
my Seven while I take my time on restoring a 948 race motor that was set up in
the 1960's. The 1275 won't be too modified as I want it to be a good
dependable cruising motor.
So for this 1275, I already have a ported head, roller rockers are a likely
possibility, and a pair of really cool race prepped 1 1/4 SU carbs -- mildly
opened up intakes, wedged(?) damper piston, razor edged butterflies with
throttle shaft trimmed and soldered to butterflies... you get the idea. I also
already have a few aluminum goodies like back plate and flywheel.
Anyway, I've never selected a cam before, and am not real sure where to start.
As I said, it's a road car so I'd like it to be not too wild, and I'll want to
run premium pump gas, so won't have too high compressio. Anyone with
recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them.
I also have a short list of parts my builder has recommended I include in the
build, in the event that anyone has something taking up space on their bench
-- I do have a bit of a budget for the project :-) ...
- Adjustable cam timing gear- ARP bolt sets - rods, mains, head- 1.5:1 roller
rockers- Baffled oil pan- Cam(!)
And LASTLY, I will soon have Eric Prill's family Lotus Seven Racing story
posted to SimpleSevens, but in the meantime, note that Eric will be racing his
Seven in the Runoffs this Friday up at Road America... and he appears to be a
serious contender :-)
Cheers -- and Thank You for your continued interest!
John DonohoeSimpleSevens.org