vtr

Re: LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE

To: JAMES.TALBOT@arpstl.army.mil, triumphs@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net, Herald948@aol.com
Subject: Re: LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@pop.mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:50:38 +0000
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
Andy Mace answered James Talbots query...
> Seems to me that the speedo and tach need to come out first. But I'm sure
> someone here on the Triumphs list or VTR list can tell you quickly and better
> than I, James.
>
> Please reply to james.talbot@arpstl.army.mil
> <mailto:james.talbot@arpstl.army.mil> if you can help!
>
> --Andy
>
> In a message dated 11/28/00 2:09:12 PM EDT,
> JAMES.TALBOT@arpstl.army.mil  writes:
>
> > I'm looking for someone with experience at removing a wooden dash from a
> >  TR6.  I removed the visible screws from the surface of the dash.  That
> freed
> >  up the right side but the left side remained tight.  I tried to gently pry
> >  the left side loose but it didn't want to come.  I hesitated to apply too
> >  much pressure for fear that I would crack the wood.  Are there other
> >  fasteners that I overlooked or do I simply have to apply more pressure?  I
> >  didn't remove any of the gauges, tach, speedo, etc.  Do any of these have
> > to  come out first?
> >  Jim Talbot  1974 TR6

James,

Andy pretty much hit on the problem.  The dash can ONLY be removed
once ALL the other connections (wiring, speedo, etc.) are
disconnected from the dash itself.  Look also for other attaching
points that might be behind the dash.

This is one of those examples where it really pays to have
a factory shop manual or the equivalent Haynes or Bently
manuals.  IF you plan on keeping your car (regardless of
make/model) and actually doing any maintenance or
restoration yourself...the FIRST thing you should buy is
the proper manual(s) for the car you own.  (Soapbox off)

Good luck,

Bill Sohl
Past VTR magazine co-editor.