vtr

Engine rebuild/teardown, cotd.

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <vtr@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine rebuild/teardown, cotd.
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:24:31 -0500
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
Well, I am happy to report the journals on my crankshaft(standard size) mic
out round, and plastigauge at .0015" clearance with the bearings, and are
therefore sound, and in perfect condition, alleviating the need for any crank
work beyond a quick pass with a crocus cloth or such.

The pistons, on the other hand, will need a rebore- No.1 cylinder had a bad
effect on its bore- the piston had a strange wear pattern from the top ring,
and it has an uneven ridge depth- I think the ring was jammed, or the piston
defective, as it would not rotate around as normally should occur, and there
was a little area above the ring groove into which the ring had worn. But the
rods, and pins seem ok, so that helps.

Chris Crisenbery suggested a Spitfire trick for my rear seal- a speedy sleeve
over the crank scroll, and replace the rear seal plate with the later one- has
anyone done this, where might I get a kit, and does it work well? The cranks
are identical I believe...

Timing chain, for those interested, had about an inch of play, and so is shot.
How do I measure wear on the sprockets? What is an acceptable amount?

I am still trying to find out what the second cam I have is, timing wise. John
Kipping believes it to be the MkIII cam for late US production, with a
10-50-50-10 timing The P/N is 213028. Does anyone have a spare # 212164 Spit
Mk. 2 cam they might part with inexpensively, and in good enough condition to
use? (Or, could I shift the position of the sprocket and camshaft by 7
degrees, to get 25-65-65-25 from 18-58-58-18 ?)

I'm going to try to get prices tomorrow, and also get the block tanked or
cooked, and the bores checked out... Wish me luck!

Scott
64 Herald 1200/12/50 Convertible

///
///  vtr@autox.team.net mailing list