zmagnette

Re: [Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zm

To: List for the Z Magnette Group - North America <zmagnette@autox.team.net> s=q20121106; t=1385588464; bh=jpBrnldaUNmneR+DWDF3MqicDy/U55e8LmUW50Mno/A=; h=Received:Received:Subject:From:Content-Type:Message-Id:Date:To: Mime-Version; b=XTM0FDbP2MpEaNawUCwzA0x76CFjqmB4PZ0+JYHmojSbKHS6AZDqbJs92Tr2WgTa9 f4gJZftzHXdgwbC6LwQ0gTQafaWIZwVPWtMhV1einsqfdKY6Gn18lUCB+1Y8yBPNZc mNH1lmHsrWaGU0vElACTVikOJZZ6AQDiD9hpaHDQchcon/GB/ROnhB1WGx0SDMjQil SVuv0R2kFZIK7j2gb2WOEln76awvRM6LZGSm+SxOcPdB2kI/YmLqxp463s8bDi/Rhq yM7J0i3FERbamTg/NwyU/voN91J4QnmObTZNilWmULqthIs46DRCBXdOioVh22Z9KG pofTkmU3MLPRw==
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.net>
From: Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 16:40:59 -0500

--Apple-Mail-83--740633274

Mike and Charles,

Yeah,  I can imagine that a 3.9 on a 1500 would present quite a =
challenge on Lombard Hill!  I guess my consideration of rear gears =
presumed the 1800 was already in the picture.=20

I forgot to point this out but in the third picture I sent, you can see =
I've moved the handbrake back about 1.5". This is not difficult at all - =
there's plenty of room to take up that much slack in the cable.  Also =
note that I tilted the lever up a bit on it's front bracket.  It clears =
the tower nicely. Regarding the 200SX or 240SX transmissions, the 280Z =
was Rivergate's choice and their kit will not fit the others. They liked =
the extreme durability of the 280Z - as it was designed to handle the =
six-cylinder engine.  They do have kits designed to fit the 210 =
five-speed to "A block" engines. Designed for Spridgets, I believe they =
also adapt well in Morris Minors. I keep my eye out for these on =
occasion and have dreams of my own MM 4-door with a 1275, a =
Rivergate/210 five-speed, a Spridget 3.9 diff, and Spridget discs up =
front.  The trick is to FiND a 210 5-speed. And for that matter, the =
280Z 5-speeds are drying up also.  BTW, there is some activity in the BW =
T5 bull pen.  We may have another option before long.  Hopefully =
somebody who knows more than I will speak to this.

I still hold with the opinion that the non-od MGB 4-synch would be more =
trouble to install than a Hi-Gear or a Datsun and give you very little =
return for your money and effort.  It would be nice to capitalize on =
that free one you have - except bear in mind that your freeby is the =
2nd-most worthless part on an MGB, the most worthless part on an MGB =
being a 3sync non-od transmission.  If you advertised to MGB guys that =
you were currently accepting 4-sync non-od drop-offs, your front yard =
would be full by morning. Keeping one or two and tearing them down for =
parts makes some sense as the internals can be used in rebuilding od =
boxes.  I gave away four of them about two years ago. I have one "spare" =
4-sync od box that I'll will to one of my kids someday. The other kid =
will get the house and everything that's in the bank.=20

Regarding shifter location, I think that problem can be solved pretty =
easily - since the Rivergate/Datsun brings it's shifter up right in the =
MGB 4-sync opening. Ergo, if the Rivergate/Datsun shifter requires about =
a 2" rearward expansion in the Magnette tunnel, the 4-sync MGB shifter =
would require about the same. I'm pretty sure it would be doable. ' =
Wonder if anybody's tried this with a Triumph TR6 box.  After all, a =
Triumph has to be good for something...  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)=20

Cheers,
Allen
Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =3Diii=3D<
Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs
'57 ZB, '65 B, '69 C/GT, '73 B/GT
North Street, MI 48049, USA
http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs

On Nov 27, 2013, at 2:22 PM, charles durning wrote:

> Allen,
> =20
> Thanks for the response.  I'm not intending on using a MGB OD =
transmission just the NON OD trans that came with the engine.  My =
concern was with the location of the shifter.  I'm thinking that with a =
little fabrication I can relocate the shift lever in the opening for the =
remote control.  I might even be able to adapt the Magnette lever there. =
 I'll compare the 2 when I get it out sometime in the future.
> =20
> A friend has a used Ford Sierra trans and the adaptor parts he removed =
from a wrecked MGB.  It's FREE.  I looked it over and it looks like the =
sfift lever would interfere with the parking brake lever also.  It looks =
like a major job to relocate the shift lever on that trans.  I would use =
it if I can work out relocating the shift lever.
> =20
> Frankly I would be happy with a 4 speed, that's why I would consider =
using the NON OD MGB 4 synchro trans that came with the engine.  I could =
keep the 3 synchro trans it would be easy enough to adapt to the 5 mb =
engine. =20
> =20
> BTW I did some looking around and it looks like the trans from a =
Datsun 200SX or 240SX would put the shifter in the right place.=20
<bachldrs@comcast.net> wrote:
> As far as I know, the cheapest way to do this is with the Datsun 280Z =
five-speed (it has a "Z" in it!) and a Rivergate kit.  I've done it on =
two different Magnettes.  The kit is designed for an MGB so there is a =
bit of fabrication necessary - but it isn't rocket science.  The bit in =
question is the transmission mount. The Hi-Gear Ford Sierra kit is =
available from either Moss or Bruce Woodson and I understand there is a =
purpose-built version for the Magnette.
>=20
> Having done the Datsun/Rivergate option, I can say that it is pretty =
darn easy.  The pictures show the only modifications done to the car.  =
Bear in mind that the PO had converted the car to the Datsun =
transmission with a kit homemade by his mechanic. The second picture =
shows how much material was removed from the back of the shifter =
opening.  In fact, this is more than necessary, but the third picture =
shows how I dealt with it.  I chose not to weld the new tunnel patch in =
case a future owner wants to reverse the conversion.  In this sense, in =
answer to frequent criticism, by using a Japanese transmission, I =
actually preserved more original MG than I would have with an MG =
transmission. Another advantage to this approach is that the old =
Magnette drive shaft still fits - requiring only that the front U-joint =
yoke be reamed slightly to fit the Datsun U-joint which of course has =
it's own front yoke and transmission spline. =20
>=20
> If I recall correctly, I used an early MGB shift-lever boot.   I did =
rework the flange of the shift-lever tower with a body hammer to fit its =
new location. The PO didn't use a tower at all.
>=20
> One more thought.  If you're undecided about the transmission choice, =
first try replacing your original 4.55 differential gear set with a 4.3, =
a 4.1 (if you can find one), or a 3.9.  This is an easy two-hour job. =
You might find that even with the original gearbox, you're happy with =
the higher-geared rear end. It's interesting that the two ZAs I rode in =
while visiting the UK were both the earliest 4.87 rear-end types, and =
while we never went on the "M roads" with them (equivalent to our =
interstates), they seemed remarkably unstressed.  For awhile there, I =
started wondering why I had gone to all this effort.  But then I get on =
the I-69 here in Michigan with its 70 mph speed limit and I'm sure happy =
to have my 5th gear, along with the 3.9, giving me 25 mph per 1,000 rpm.
>=20
> FWIW,
> Allen
> Allen & Florrie Bachelder       =3Diii=3D<
> Spring Creek Home for Wayward MGs
> '57 ZB, '65 B, '69 C/GT, '73 B/GT
> North Street, MI 48049, USA
> http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs
>=20
> On Nov 27, 2013, at 12:42 AM, Steve C. wrote:
>=20
>> As Steve K states I installed a 4 syncro overdrive many years ago in =
my ZA. I would not even consider doing so today. The 5 speed kits are so =
much easier to do. The come with everything you need and require almost =
no modifications to the car. To install the late over drive you need to =
build a rear transmission mount, a transmission tunnel, drive shaft, =
speedo gear box and cable. Then deal with the starter hitting the frame =
and making a clutch hydraulic line. I also did some mods to the shift =
tower, but do not remember exactly what. I think that covers it all.
>> --=20
>> Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my =
brevity.
>>=20
>> Steve Kirby <skirby210@cox.net> wrote:
>> It is not my place to answer this, and it is further not my place to =
offer up this answer, but I will anyway!  One of my first, of many, =
mentors, in the Magnette World was Steve Carroll . . . he of thee superb =
header set up many of us have purchased.  Steve did put a full late B =
synchro in his.  I do remember Steve describing the various things he =
had to do.  Steve is a person of immense talents, so his pay grade is =
much higher than mine.  Perhaps Steve will answer, now that I've prodded =
him a bit, or Charlie can contact him directly.
>> =20
>> #2SteveK
a 3 sync MGB with a 4 sync.  The transmission tunnel is noticeably =
different.  I've put a 4 sync in and early MGB and it takes a lot of =
work with a BIG hammer to move sheet metal around.  Even then, its still =
a tight fit.  I can't imagine a Magnette would be any easier.
durningcharles@gmail.com writes:
>> Robert,
>> =20
>> I didn't think that even modifying the remote would work.  It would =
still be too far back, not to mention the height.  I was thinking about =
eleminating the remote and mounting the shifter directly to the opening =
on the trans where the remote attaches.  I still have to get under the =
car and do some measuring to see if that would be close.
>> =20
>> It would be good if some BMC car used the 4 synchro trans with a =
direct shifter.  That would keep me from having to make something.
>> =20
>> =20
>> Charlie Durning
>> =20
>> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM, <monster@caverock.net.nz> wrote:
>>=20
>> http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/Dads_Oxford.html
>>=20
>> On the above page are some photos and a description of fitting an MGB =
engine and 4-synchro+overdrive 'box to a 1960's Farina Oxford.
>> It includes a pic of shortening the remote gearlever extension to =
fit, and a new tunnel.
>>=20
>> I'd agree that the benefits of non-OD box over all the mods needed =
for a 3-synchro box might not be great.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/durningcharles@gmail.com
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/zmagnette/bachldrs@comcast.net
>=20

--Apple-Mail-83--740633274

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Mike =
a 1500 would present quite a challenge on Lombard Hill! &nbsp;I guess my =
consideration of rear gears presumed the 1800 was already in the =
in the third picture I sent, you can see I've moved the handbrake back =
about 1.5". This is not difficult at all - there's plenty of room to =
take up that much slack in the cable. &nbsp;Also note that I tilted the =
lever up a bit on it's front bracket. &nbsp;It clears the tower nicely. =
Regarding the 200SX or 240SX transmissions, the 280Z was Rivergate's =
choice and their kit will not fit the others. They liked the extreme =
durability of the 280Z - as it was designed to handle the six-cylinder =
engine. &nbsp;They do have kits designed to fit the 210 five-speed to "A =
block" engines. Designed for Spridgets, I believe they also adapt well =
in Morris Minors. I keep my eye out for these on occasion and have =
dreams of my own MM 4-door with a 1275, a Rivergate/210 five-speed, a =
Spridget 3.9 diff, and Spridget discs up front. &nbsp;The trick is to =
FiND a 210 5-speed. And for that matter, the 280Z 5-speeds are drying up =
also. &nbsp;BTW, there is some activity in the BW T5 bull pen. &nbsp;We =
may have another option before long. &nbsp;Hopefully somebody who knows =
with the opinion that the non-od MGB 4-synch would be more trouble to =
install than a Hi-Gear or a Datsun and give you very little return for =
your money and effort. &nbsp;It would be nice to capitalize on that free =
one you have - except bear in mind that your freeby is the 2nd-most =
worthless part on an MGB, the most worthless part on an MGB being a =
3sync non-od transmission. &nbsp;If you advertised to MGB guys that you =
were currently accepting 4-sync non-od drop-offs, your front yard would =
be full by morning. Keeping one or two and tearing them down for parts =
makes some sense as the internals can be used in rebuilding od boxes. =
&nbsp;I gave away four of them about two years ago. I have one "spare" =
4-sync od box that I'll will to one of my kids someday. The other kid =
will get the house and everything that's in the =
that problem can be solved pretty easily - since the Rivergate/Datsun =
brings it's shifter up right in the MGB 4-sync opening. Ergo, if the =
Rivergate/Datsun shifter requires about a 2" rearward expansion in the =
Magnette tunnel, the 4-sync MGB shifter would require about the same. =
I'm pretty sure it would be doable. ' Wonder if anybody's tried this =
with a Triumph TR6 box. &nbsp;After all, a Triumph has to be good for =
something... &nbsp;;-) &nbsp;;-) =
color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: =
normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
[...]
style=3D"font-size: 12px; =
"><b><i>****************************************************************</=
i></b></span><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: =
separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; font-size: medium; "><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; font-family: Helvetica; =
font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
[...]
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; font-variant: normal; =
[...]
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: =
[...]
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; =
word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; font-size: 12px; "><b><i>Allen &amp; Florrie =
Bachelder &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =3Diii=3D&lt;<br>Spring Creek Home for =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; font-size: 12px; "><b><i>'57 ZB, '65 B, '69 C/GT, '73 =
0); font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
font-size: 12px; "><b><i>North Street, MI 48049, =
 style=3D"font-size: 12px; "><a =
href=3D"http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs";>http://www.mgexperien=
[...]
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"font-style: =
normal; font-weight: normal; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
"><b><i><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-size: 12px; =
">****************************************************************</span><=

wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite"><div>Allen,</div>
transmission just the NON OD&nbsp;trans that came with the engine.&nbsp; =
My concern was with the location of the shifter.&nbsp; I'm thinking that =
with a little fabrication I can relocate the shift lever in the opening =
for the remote control.&nbsp; I might even be able to adapt the Magnette =
lever there.&nbsp; I'll compare the 2 when I get it out sometime in the =
future.</div>

parts he removed from a wrecked MGB.&nbsp; It's FREE.&nbsp; I looked it =
over and&nbsp;it looks like the sfift lever would&nbsp;interfere with =
the parking brake lever also.&nbsp; It looks like a major job to =
relocate the shift lever on that trans.&nbsp; I would use it if =
I&nbsp;can work out&nbsp;relocating the shift lever. </div>

consider&nbsp;using the NON&nbsp;OD MGB 4 synchro&nbsp;trans that came =
with the engine.&nbsp; I could keep the 3 synchro trans it would be easy =
enough to adapt to the 5 mb engine.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

Datsun 200SX or 240SX would put the shifter in the right place.&nbsp;<br =
clear=3D"all"></div>
watching.</font></div>
Bachelder <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bachldrs@comcast.net"; =
0.8ex;PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">
to do this is with the Datsun 280Z five-speed (it has a "Z" in it!) and =
a Rivergate kit. &nbsp;I've done it on two different Magnettes. =
&nbsp;The kit is designed for an MGB so there is a bit of fabrication =
necessary - but it isn't rocket science. &nbsp;The bit in question is =
the transmission mount. The Hi-Gear Ford Sierra kit is available from =
either Moss or Bruce Woodson and I understand there is a purpose-built =
version for the Magnette.=20
pretty darn easy. &nbsp;The pictures show the only modifications done to =
the car. &nbsp;Bear in mind that the PO had converted the car to the =
Datsun transmission with a kit homemade by his mechanic. The second =
picture shows how much material was removed from the back of the shifter =
opening. &nbsp;In fact, this is more than necessary, but the third =
picture shows how I dealt with it. &nbsp;I chose not to weld the new =
tunnel patch in case a future owner wants to reverse the conversion. =
&nbsp;In this sense, in answer to frequent criticism, by using a =
Japanese transmission, I actually preserved more original MG than I =
would have with an MG transmission. Another advantage to this approach =
is that the old Magnette drive shaft still fits - requiring only that =
the front U-joint yoke be reamed slightly to fit the Datsun U-joint =
which of course has it's own front yoke and transmission spline. =
&nbsp;</div>

I did rework the flange of the shift-lever tower with a body hammer to =
fit its new location. The PO didn't use a tower at all.</div>
choice, first try replacing your original 4.55 differential gear set =
with a 4.3, a 4.1 (if you can find one), or a 3.9. &nbsp;This is an easy =
two-hour job. You might find that even with the original gearbox, you're =
happy with the higher-geared rear end. It's interesting that the two ZAs =
I rode in while visiting the UK were both the earliest 4.87 rear-end =
types, and while we never went on the "M roads" with them (equivalent to =
our interstates), they seemed remarkably unstressed. &nbsp;For awhile =
there, I started wondering why I had gone to all this effort. &nbsp;But =
then I get on the I-69 here in Michigan with its 70 mph speed limit and =
I'm sure happy to have my 5th gear, along with the 3.9, giving me 25 mph =
per 1,000 rpm.</div>

style=3D"TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;TEXT-INDENT:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;FONT=
:medium =
Helvetica;WHITE-SPACE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px"><span=
 =
style=3D"FONT-SIZE:12px"><b><i>*******************************************=
style=3D"TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;TEXT-INDENT:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;FONT=
:medium =
Helvetica;WHITE-SPACE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px">=20
style=3D"LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT-VARIANT:normal;TEXT-I=
NDENT:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica;WHITE-SPACE:norma=
l;LETTER-SPACING:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px">
style=3D"LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT-VARIANT:normal;TEXT-I=
NDENT:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica;WHITE-SPACE:norma=
l;LETTER-SPACING:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px">
style=3D"LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT-VARIANT:normal;TEXT-I=
NDENT:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica;WHITE-SPACE:norma=
l;LETTER-SPACING:normal;WORD-SPACING:0px">
style=3D"LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT-VARIANT:normal;TEXT-I=
NDENT:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;WHITE-SPACE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:norma=
l;WORD-SPACING:0px">
[...]
style=3D"FONT-STYLE:normal;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica;WORD-WRAP:break-word;FONT=
-SIZE:12px;FONT-WEIGHT:normal"><b><i>Allen &amp; Florrie Bachelder =
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; =3Diii=3D&lt;<br>Spring Creek Home for Wayward =
style=3D"FONT-STYLE:normal;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica;WORD-WRAP:break-word;FONT=
-SIZE:12px;FONT-WEIGHT:normal"><b><i>'57 ZB, '65 B, '69 C/GT, '73 =
style=3D"FONT-STYLE:normal;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica;WORD-WRAP:break-word;FONT=
-SIZE:12px;FONT-WEIGHT:normal"><b><i>North Street, MI 48049, =
n></div>
=
href=3D"http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs"; =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.mgexperience.net/member/bachldrs</a></span></=
i></b><span =
[...]
style=3D"FONT-STYLE:normal;WORD-WRAP:break-word;FONT-WEIGHT:normal"><b><i>=
style=3D"FONT-STYLE:normal;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica;FONT-SIZE:12px;FONT-WEIGH=
T:normal">****************************************************************=
=
=
style=3D"LINE-HEIGHT:normal;TEXT-TRANSFORM:none;FONT-VARIANT:normal;FONT-S=
TYLE:normal;TEXT-INDENT:0px;BORDER-COLLAPSE:separate;FONT-FAMILY:Helvetica=
;WHITE-SPACE:normal;LETTER-SPACING:normal;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;WORD-SPACING:=
0px">
states I installed a 4 syncro overdrive many years ago in my ZA. I would =
not even consider doing so today. The 5 speed kits are so much easier to =
do. The come with everything you need and require almost no =
modifications to the car. To install the late over drive you need to =
build a rear transmission mount, a transmission tunnel, drive shaft, =
speedo gear box and cable. Then deal with the starter hitting the frame =
and making a clutch hydraulic line. I also did some mods to the shift =
tower, but do not remember exactly what. I think that covers it =
all.</font><br>
from my Android phone with</font><span =
style=3D"FONT-SIZE:10pt">&nbsp;</span><a style=3D"FONT-SIZE:10pt" =
href=3D"http://mail.com/"; target=3D"_blank">mail.com</a><span =
style=3D"FONT-SIZE:10pt">&nbsp;</span><font>Mail. Please excuse my =
brevity.</font><br>
style=3D"FONT-SIZE:10pt" href=3D"mailto:skirby210@cox.net"; =
0pt 0pt 0.8ex;PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">
Roman">It is not my place to answer this, and it is further not my place =
to offer up this answer, but I will anyway!&nbsp; One of my first, of =
many, mentors, in the Magnette World was Steve Carroll . . . he of thee =
superb header set up many of us have purchased.&nbsp; Steve did put a =
full late B synchro in his.&nbsp; I do remember Steve describing the =
various things he had to do.&nbsp; Steve is a person of immense talents, =
so his pay grade is much higher than mine.&nbsp; Perhaps Steve will =
answer, now that I've prodded him a bit, or Charlie can contact him =
directly.</font></div>

Roman"></font>&nbsp;</div>
Roman">#2SteveK</font></div>
solid;PADDING-LEFT:5px;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px"=

href=3D"mailto:LannM@aol.com"; target=3D"_blank">LannM@aol.com</a></div>
title=3D"zmagnette@autox.team.net" =
href=3D"mailto:zmagnette@autox.team.net"; =
target=3D"_blank">zmagnette@autox.team.net</a></div>
November 26, 2013 8:29 AM</div>
[Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB</div>
face=3D"Arial">
wider than the 3 sync.&nbsp; Compare a 3 sync MGB with a 4 sync.&nbsp; =
The transmission tunnel is noticeably different.&nbsp; I've put a 4 sync =
in and early MGB and it takes a lot of work with a BIG hammer to move =
sheet metal around.&nbsp; Even then, its still a tight fit.&nbsp; I =
can't imagine a Magnette would be any easier.</div>

would be quicker, easier, and probably cheaper.</div>
A.M. Central Standard Time,<span>&nbsp;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:durningcharles@gmail.com"; =
div>

solid;PADDING-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px"><font =
style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:transparent" color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">
remote would work.&nbsp; It would still be too far back, not to mention =
the height.&nbsp; I was thinking about eleminating the remote and =
mounting the shifter directly to the opening on the trans where the =
remote attaches.&nbsp; I still have to get under the car and do some =
measuring to see if that would be close.</div>

4 synchro trans with a direct shifter.&nbsp; That would keep me from =
having to make something.</div>
title=3D"mailto:monster@caverock.net.nz"; =
href=3D"mailto:monster@caverock.net.nz"; =
>wrote:<br>

0px 0px 0.8ex;PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote"><br><a =
title=3D"http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website pages/Dads_Oxford.html" =
href=3D"http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/Dads_Oxford.html"; =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.beardmorebros.co.<u></u>uk/website%20pages/Da=
MGB engine and 4-synchro+overdrive 'box to a 1960's Farina Oxford.<br>It =
includes a pic of shortening the remote gearlever extension to fit, and =
a new tunnel.<br>
for a 3-synchro box might not be great.<br>I also love the sound of the =
non-synchro 1st gear. Bah, musicians, eh? =
Robert=20
0px 0px 0.8ex;PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">Charlie,<br>Even =
without overdrive, the remote shifter on the MGB 4-sync sits<br>high and =
your going to have to substantially reshape the transmission<br>
tunnel to make it fit. That's a ferocious price to pay for =
a<br>synchronized first gear. If you're going to that much trouble, =
you<br>might as well go =
=
=
agnette mailing list<br><br>Donate: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a =
href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>