Subject: Re: [6pack] Pinging Engine

From: Sally or Dick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 23:56:50 GMT

Tom---Looks like you rounded up all of 'the usual suspects' for the cause of excessive pinging. One thing you didn't mention I will suggest -- that being the real possibility that whoever shaved the head did not break the corners after doing so. Unfortunately, unless you can get confirmation that this was done, you'll have to pull the head to check this. Sharpness at the edges of the combustion chambers and the sparkplug holes can get super hot if not stoned or polished down. 

IF---your timing marks on the damper pulley have shifted due to a breakdown in the rubber, you can get a feel for its accuracy, by noting where the pointer is when the key on the crankshaft is at TDC. Should be at "0". There is a more precise method for checking this, that being a tool for finding TDC without engine dismantling.  All that's required is removal of #1 sparkplug and inserting this (extended) plug. More info on this if you wish.

Dick

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomislav Marincic
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] Pinging Engine

My TR6 is pinging after a high performance rebuild, and I can't stop it. 

I've done lots of things (high octane via xylene, retarded ignition, colder
plugs, richer mix) but it's starting to look that either the machinist
screwed up the head, or I've just built a monster.

I had a few specific questions:

1.      Cranking compression. The engine was built to 9.5:1 specs,
45.6cc/chamber. My cranking compression hot is 195 +/-5 psi with a Goodparts
GP-2 cam, which strikes me as 10-15 psi high. Anyone else have a comparison
of nominal CR vs. compression with a similar cam?

2.      Timing. Jeff at Advanced Distributors does great work, but he
refuses to tell me what specs he built my distributor to, which is not
helpful. Does anyone have experience with the 123 Distributor, which allows
the timing curve to be manipulated? Is that distributor compatible with the
MSD 6 series ignition?

Thanks for your help. If I hadn't used forged pistons, I'm sure I'd have
blown a ring land by now.

Cheers, Tom

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:38:23 -0400

You can actually modify an old spark plug as is suggested in the last
paragraph.  Its pretty easy.  I have made such many years ago to establish
TDC.  Works beautifully when you are not sure.  However there is one other
issue: if by some chance the timing chain wheel and its mate on the crank was
not precisely set, it is easy for the timing to be off by a few degrees.
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Sally or Dick Taylor [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:56 PM
To: Tomislav Marincic; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] Pinging Engine

Tom---Looks like you rounded up all of 'the usual suspects' for the cause of
excessive pinging. One thing you didn't mention I will suggest -- that being
the real possibility that whoever shaved the head did not break the corners
after doing so. Unfortunately, unless you can get confirmation that this was
done, you'll have to pull the head to check this. Sharpness at the edges of
the combustion chambers and the sparkplug holes can get super hot if not
stoned or polished down.

IF---your timing marks on the damper pulley have shifted due to a breakdown in
the rubber, you can get a feel for its accuracy, by noting where the pointer
is when the key on the crankshaft is at TDC. Should be at "0". There is a more
precise method for checking this, that being a tool for finding TDC without
engine dismantling.  All that's required is removal of #1 sparkplug and
inserting this (extended) plug. More info on this if you wish.

Dick

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomislav Marincic
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] Pinging Engine

Cheers, Tom

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:58:48 -0500

I will second Dick's comments as I had the same problem after shaving and
raising compression to 10.1:1. Removing the head and having the sharp edges
carefully rounded off cured the pinging AND run-on problem.

All my best,

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Sally or Dick Taylor
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:57 PM
To: Tomislav Marincic; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] Pinging Engine

IF---your timing marks on the damper pulley have shifted due to a breakdown
in the rubber, you can get a feel for its accuracy, by noting where the
pointer is when the key on the crankshaft is at TDC. Should be at "0". There
is a more precise method for checking this, that being a tool for finding
TDC without engine dismantling.  All that's required is removal of #1
sparkplug and inserting this (extended) plug. More info on this if you wish.

Dick

-----Original Message-----
From: Tomislav Marincic
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] Pinging Engine

Cheers, Tom

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]