Subject: Re: [6pack] Pinging Engine

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 20:20:10 -0500

I am running the gp2 cam, decked block, polished and ported and shaved head, 
dizzy rebuilt by jeff.  running 10.5 to 1 or so.

no pinging,pre-ignition, or any other problems.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Alex & Janet Thomson
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 2:09 PM
To: 'Tomislav Marincic' ; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] Pinging Engine

I used the GP-2 cam in our TR-6 when the previous cam lost a couple of
lobes. I had the head milled to bump compression up to approximately 8.8 or
8.75:1. No indication of any pre-ignition but I generally do use 93 octane
fuel.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Tomislav Marincic
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 2:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] Pinging Engine

My TR6 is pinging after a high performance rebuild, and I can't stop it.

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:46:56 -0400

What is a "123 distributor," who makes it, and is it a direct replacement for
the original?
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Andrew Uprichard [[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2012 5:22 PM
To: 'Tomislav Marincic'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] Pinging Engine

I put a 123 distributor on my last TR3 and it worked a charm.

I have one in my recently-finished fast-road TR250 and it seems to be fine.
I will be putting the car on a dyno in a couple of weeks, so we'll probably
vary the settings then for maximal performance.

Andrew Uprichard

-----Original Message-----

I've done lots of things (high octane via xylene, retarded ignition, colder
plugs, richer mix) but it's starting to look that either the machinist
screwed up the head, or I've just built a monster.

I had a few specific questions:

1.      Cranking compression. The engine was built to 9.5:1 specs,
45.6cc/chamber. My cranking compression hot is 195 +/-5 psi with a Goodparts
GP-2 cam, which strikes me as 10-15 psi high. Anyone else have a comparison
of nominal CR vs. compression with a similar cam?

2.      Timing. Jeff at Advanced Distributors does great work, but he
refuses to tell me what specs he built my distributor to, which is not
helpful. Does anyone have experience with the 123 Distributor, which allows
the timing curve to be manipulated? Is that distributor compatible with the
MSD 6 series ignition?

Thanks for your help. If I hadn't used forged pistons, I'm sure I'd have
blown a ring land by now.

Cheers, Tom

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:01:38 -0400 (EDT)

> What is a "123 distributor," who makes it, and is it a direct replacement for

http://www.123ignitionusa.com/

It is a direct replacement.

regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email-masked]