Subject: [6pack] Since we're talkin' about TR-7 J-type ODs …

From: Douglas Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 17:12:14 -0400

Me ol' '74-6 took me from NC to Seattle, LA, TX, and back without a whimper
last Summer.

However, over the past few months, I've been experiencing some strange
overdrive-related symptoms.
1. Long after it's warmed up (dunno if significant), it won't shift out of OD
in either 3rd or 4th. Not always.
2. While OD is selected and accelerating in 2nd, it shudders. If I go back to
first and unselect OD, things go fine.

Could it beeee 
a) Fluid level? Too lazy to check that, yet. (maqana)
b) OD solenoid?
c) Gear-position switch(es)?
d) OD switch? It was replaced 2-yrs ago.
e) *gulp* Something really bad?

Just lookin' for a starting place.

Doug Morris, NC
'74 TR-6 CF-183XX-UO

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 18:13:25 -0400

First place to check is the solenoid.  It could well be jamming.  They get
old, and dirt gets into the space between the plunger and the barrel of the
solenoid.  Most of them will make a distinct "snap" when going into and out of
operation.

You can check the operation of the switches in the transmission cover by
putting a meter to check electrical continuity when you shift gears.   Third
possibility is the secondary relay.  It could also be stuck.  The car does not
even need to be running when doing these tests, just have the ignition on.
Check the wiring diagram to see where to put the meter.  You can also use a
little light bulb and a couple of alligator clips and watch to see if the
light goes on and off.
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Douglas Morris [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:12 PM
To: 6pack
Subject: [6pack] Since we're talkin' about TR-7 J-type ODs 

Could it beeee 

Doug Morris, NC
'74 TR-6 CF-183XX-UO

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]