Subject: [6pack] Ignition Key and Steering Column

From: Bill Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 15:27:10 -0500

Steve,

When restoring my '73, I took the key assembly off the column,  Bought  
a new keyed switch and put it in my console.  What I call console is  
the panel which holds my radio.  If you look behind the console you  
will find two holes in the aluminum.  I drilled the foam and  
leatherette covering these holes.  Were a perfect fit for key and an  
electrical plug.  I never really liked reaching between my legs for  
the switch.

Locking steering wheels are just another place where problems can  
occur so mine no longer locks. KISS

Hope this helps

Bill

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Alwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:51:11 -0600

I have a 72 and did the same thing. I love it on the console. I made a wiring
pigtail so as not to destroy the original harness in case it needs to go back
to original.
Brian

[email-masked]

---

From: im sloane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:47:48 +0000

You could also drill an extra hole in your switch plinth or purchase a 5 hole
early plinth. My car is a 69 but a PO had put in a 4 hole plinth, car had no
heater valve control. When replacing the heater control, I figured out the
early cars had a 5 hole plinth. I just drilled a new hold in the center of the
4 hole plinth and it looks fine.  Key goes on the right.

Sloane :)
69-Six

[email-masked]