Subject: [6pack] TR6 wiring question

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 15:42:00 -0400

Problem with my 1972 TR6 wiring.

Can anybody tell me the route of the solid purple wire going from the cabin
light (transmission tunnel lamp) between the seats and where it is supposed to
join with the line running to the boot light?

I have a functioning boot light, but no +12V power at the connector behind the
cabin light. The door switches work correctly so the Purple/White and Black
lines are correct.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: John Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 16:39:22 -0400

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Wireless Phone

-------- Original message --------
From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]> 
Date: 06/01/2013  3:42 PM  (GMT-05:00) 
To: 'Triumph' <[email-masked]>,"[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]> 
Subject: [6pack] TR6 wiring question 

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Dale <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 05:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

Mark
 
On the second fuse in the fuse box there should be a white wire coming
in and two purples going out. One goes to the horn. Tthe second one goes to a
junction under the dash that controls the glove box light & door lights. In a
separate line off the one just described is a purple wire is going to trans
tunnel light. The tunnel light is powered by this purple wire and grounded by
a purple / white wire that goes to one of the door switches. 
 
If I remember
correctly this purple wire connection should be on the passenger side by / or
behind the heater.
 
If nothing else you could run a wire from the door switch
connection back to your tunnel light.
 
Dale
________________________________
From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
To: 'Triumph' <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]'"
<[email-masked]> 
Sent: Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:42 PM
Subject:
[6pack] TR6 wiring question

Can anybody
tell me the route of the solid purple wire going from the cabin
light
(transmission tunnel lamp) between the seats and where it is supposed to
join
with the line running to the boot light?

I have a functioning boot light, but
no +12V power at the connector behind the
cabin light. The door switches work
correctly so the Purple/White and Black
lines are correct.

Mark Hooper
1972
TR6

[email-masked]

Donate:
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Hooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 17:37:00 -0400

Thanks to all who responded with advice and even a wiring diagram. With your
assistance, I found the issue.

Since it could be useful I'll specify:

Just by left-side lower attachment point for the seatbelt, the rear wiring
harness splits. At that point, there are also two crimp connectors sticking
out from the wiring harness; one  joining 3 purple wires and the other joining
3 black wires together. The purple are always hot and are used for the trunk
and tunnel lamps. That is a very useful little place to allow you to connect
after-market stuff for small current draw devices behind the driver.

Anyway, it turned out that despite a clean appearance, I had a wire break
inside the purple wire connector. Intermittent wiring issues are such a joy to
find... So, if you can't get the trunk or cabin lamp to illuminate, test those
two connectors first. No power or no ground makes it a fairly specific repair
and can stop you unbundling a lot of wire for no reason.

Mark
1972 TR6

From: Dale [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: June-02-13 8:11 AM
To: [email-masked]; 'Triumph'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 wiring question

Mark

On the second fuse in the fuse box there should be a white wire coming in and
two purples going out. One goes to the horn. Tthe second one goes to a
junction under the dash that controls the glove box light & door lights. In a
separate line off the one just described is a purple wire is going to trans
tunnel light. The tunnel light is powered by this purple wire and grounded by
a purple / white wire that goes to one of the door switches.

If I remember correctly this purple wire connection should be on the passenger
side by / or behind the heater.

If nothing else you could run a wire from the door switch connection back to
your tunnel light.

Dale

Can anybody tell me the route of the solid purple wire going from the cabin
light (transmission tunnel lamp) between the seats and where it is supposed
to
join with the line running to the boot light?

I have a functioning boot light, but no +12V power at the connector behind
the
cabin light. The door switches work correctly so the Purple/White and Black
lines are correct.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6

[email-masked]