Subject: Re: [6pack] Alternator question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:19:12 +0000

Sounds like a battery problem to me but I think I would take it to your favorite FLAPS and have them put their tester on it. Around here they do it for free and that will tell you for sure. 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 22:09:14 
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [6pack] Alternator question

Need some advice on where to turn:

I have a '75 Tr-6.  It sits in my garage on a battery tender when not on 
the road.  This morning I started it up and noticed a faint glow from 
the red ignition light.  Increasing the rpm's made the red light 
brighter.  Stepping on the brake pedal or turning on the headlights made 
the red light brighter still.  I noticed the headlights do not have a 
crisp white color--more yellowish.

The battery shows 12.6 volts with engine off.  On Startup the multimeter 
shows 14.6 volts from idle up to 3500 rpm--not much change in charging 
rate with changes in rpm.  Alternatore was rebuilt 3-4 years ago--few 
miles since.

Battery does take and hold a charge but only for a month or so if not on 
a tender.  And yes--the battery is 8-10 years old.  I know, I know.

So is the problem related to:

1.  Old and tired battery.
2.  bad ground (hint--yellowish headlights)--and if so--where go I start 
looking for a corroded ground.
3.  Failure of the alternator --which does charge but at a steady rate.
4.  Diode falure in the alternator.

Any suggestions?

Bill Wellbaum
Las Vegas
baclv.org

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:52:45 -0400

Bill - When you have the headlights and any other accessories (heater)
turned on, see if there is a voltage difference between the negative post of
the battery and the body or tub. Also, check for any voltage difference
between the negative battery post and the engine block. There should be
virtually no voltage drop. There is a ground strap from the engine to the
body but these can disintegrate. I have found that any additional bonding or
grounding connections between the battery and the block/body will help.
Also, there may be a ground wire that connects to the alternator case - make
sure that is in good shape. There should be no voltage drop between the
alternator case and the grounded side of the battery.

If the addition of a bonding wire from the battery to the tub makes the
lights brighter, you have identified part of the problem.

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] Alternator question

I have a '75 Tr-6.  It sits in my garage on a battery tender when not on the
road.  This morning I started it up and noticed a faint glow from the red
ignition light.  Increasing the rpm's made the red light brighter.  Stepping
on the brake pedal or turning on the headlights made the red light brighter
still.  I noticed the headlights do not have a crisp white color--more
yellowish.

The battery shows 12.6 volts with engine off.  On Startup the multimeter
shows 14.6 volts from idle up to 3500 rpm--not much change in charging rate
with changes in rpm.  Alternatore was rebuilt 3-4 years ago--few miles
since.

Battery does take and hold a charge but only for a month or so if not on a
tender.  And yes--the battery is 8-10 years old.  I know, I know.

Any suggestions?

Bill Wellbaum
Las Vegas
baclv.org

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]