Subject: Re: [6pack] rear shocks and vibration

From: "Jeff Fetner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 15:06:00 -1000

Aloha Dave,

  I would get a vibration at around that speed and it turned out a shock has 
leaked fluid to the point that the rear trailing arm was vibrating at speed. 
Filling it up fixed it...until it leaked low enough to start again.  I kept 
refilling until I got a set of rebuilt shocks.

  You could try pulling the wheel, filling the shock through the filer plug 
with motorcycle fork oil (or engine oil in a pinch) and see if that cures 
it.  Sounds like you need new shocks anyway; mine was leaking at the seal 
where the arm goes into the body.

Jeff
74.5 & 75 TR6

-----Original Message----- 
From: Dave
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:20 PM
To: Triumph 6 Pack
Subject: [6pack] rear shocks and vibration

hi.

Ibm getting a vibration at about 60 mph.  I figured it was a u joint, but
none of them are obvious.

the passenger side rear shock is all oily, so I figure its shot.

question 1 b could they be related?

question 2 b is it as straight forward as it looks?  pretty much unbolt and
bolt back in?  I figure while Ibm there Ibll redo all the rubber as well
b some of it looks a little tired.

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: Glenn Rattmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 11:29:18 -0700

Dave, Jeff's experience sounds useful here, especially if you are 
seeing fluid leak at the shock.

In addition, it could be a combination of things, acting together.
Our archives say that the original steel wheels (less than stellar 
quality, some say) sometimes cause vibration problems too.
In my own case, with original wheels, I just put a decent set of 
Yokohama tires on the TR6, and my 55MPH vibration problems all went away.

I had been suspecting shocks, or U-joints, maybe driveshaft balance, 
etc. but the tires did the trick for me.

--Glenn/74.5
San Diego

>the passenger side rear shock is all oily, so I figure its shot.
snip 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert M. Lang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:34:41 -0400 (EDT)

Don't forget to check the tires for "runout". I had a vibration problem on 
my TR6 years back. One tire was almost .5 inches out of round. The source 
of the problem was a steel belt failure.

Lesson learned.

I didn't have a catastrophic tire failure, but I was extremely lucky in 
that regard.

regards,
rml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email-masked]