Subject: [6pack] Alternator--'75 Tr-6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 03:17:46 +0000 (GMT)

An electronic diagnostic check of my charging system showed an very weak 
battery and a bad diode in the alternator.  The 11 year old battery was 
replaced two weeks ago and sat on a battery tender until yesterday. A
  rebuilt alternator was installed yesterday--by me. Unplug the old and 
plug in the new. The car fired immediately with a fresh battery and the 
voltmeter showed the system charging at 13 volts. However, my multimeter 
showed the battery at 12 .6 volts regardless of engine speed.  I loaded 
up the system with headlights and fan and could not see any difference 
in the rate of charge.  12.6 volts flat--regardless of engine speed. 
Drove it a few miles and checked the battery again and it was showing 
12.3 volts.  While running I pulled off the positive lead from the 
battery and the engine died immediately.  So the engine was running off 
the battery--not the alternator.  Of course, I suspect a duff 
alternator.  Freshly rebuilt and sold by one of the 'big 3.'  I 
disconnected the plug from the alternator and with the engine running 
tried to get a reading  to see if the alternator was putting out 
anything--but all I got was a rapidly changing reading on my 
meter--really rapid--some sort of jibberish.  So, short of taking the 
alternator to a speialty shop to have it tested what can I do to 
determine is there is output from my 2 day old unit?  If yes--than I 
must have a problem somewhere between the wiring plug to the alternator 
and the battery--yes?

Bill Wellbaum
Las Vegas

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: robert fabie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 07:39:51 -0400

>From your description it sounds like the system is operating normally.
After starting, your car runs off the alternator. While doing so, it also
provides a trickle charge to the battery. Disconnecting the battery on an
alternator equipped car is not recommended. You could do this with cars
equipped with generators but not so with alternators. I don't think you
have a problem.
Bob Fabie.

On Sunday, August 11, 2013, wrote:

> showed the battery at 12 .6 volts regardless of engine speed.  I loaded up
> the system with headlights and fan and could not see any difference in the
> rate of charge.  12.6 volts flat--regardless of engine speed. Drove it a
> few miles and checked the battery again and it was showing 12.3 volts.
>  While running I pulled off the positive lead from the battery and the
> engine died immediately.  So the engine was running off the battery--not
> the alternator.  Of course, I suspect a duff alternator.  Freshly rebuilt
> and sold by one of the 'big 3.'  I disconnected the plug from the
> alternator and with the engine running tried to get a reading  to see if
> the alternator was putting out anything--but all I got was a rapidly
> changing reading on my meter--really rapid--some sort of jibberish.  So,
> short of taking the alternator to a speialty shop to have it tested what
> can I do to determine is there is output from my 2 day old unit?  If
> yes--than I must have a problem somewhere between the wiring plug to the
> alternator and the battery--yes?
>
> Bill Wellbaum
> Las Vegas
>
> ______________________________**__________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/6pack/bobfabie@gmail.
> **com <http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]>

[email-masked]