Subject: Re: [6pack] Clutch not working

From: Rob Pennington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 16:06:05 -0400

I just went through this with my car after  it sat for about five years.   The
disk is frozen to the flywheel.

I had lots of room for this so i didn't runinto anything.  I started the car
in first gear with the clutch depressed, which takes a good battery and a car
that starts up reasonably well.   The car was  moving along in first gear with
the clutch still depressed.  I gave it some gas to make the car try to
accelerate and and then backed off.  This was basically stressing the frozen
connection between the friction disk and the flywheel by having the clutch
pedal still pressed.  After several times the clutch disk broke free and
started working again.

Best of luck!

Rob

74 TR6

On Sep 1, 2013, at 15:49, "Dale Katzfey" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> He is what has happened.
> First, I did not run the car for 2 years.  Sat in a garage.
> Second, I did get her started.
> Third, pushed in the clutch and tried to get it in reverse, gears started
to
> grind.  Tried other gears and could not engage.
> Fourth, bled the lines and made sure that the slave cylinder was moving.
It
> was moving pretty well.  I didn't measure it.
> Clutch still didn't disengage
> Fifth, I jacked up the rear wheels and started it in gear.  Wheels spun in
> forward and reverse.  Pulled the hand break with the clutch in and out.  I
> just could not get the clutch to release. Even stalled the engine with the
> hand break and clutch depressed.
>
> The clutch is probably about 15 years old, but only has about 20,000 miles
on
> it.
>
> Do I have to get to the clutch or is there something else I can do to free
it
> up? I really don't want to pull the transmission again.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Dale
>
> ________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: im sloane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 21:35:41 +0000

We had this problem on my brother's 73. He's an expert at 'floating' the
clutch, truck driver lingo for not using the clutch to shift. Just driving
around, not being rough with it, it suddenly snapped free. You do have to
start it off with the key. Google Float Shifting or floating the clutch for
info. I can do it, but just not as well has he. Triumph transmissions are
especially good at this. I pretty much won't let you put it into gear in the
the RPM is right.

Sloane :)

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 19:35:55 -0400

Dale - On vehicles that have a removable inspection plate at the bottom of
the bell housing, one can have an assistant push on the clutch pedal while
using a sharp chisel or other thin blade to pry the clutch disk away from
the flywheel. That trick has worked for me on several older trucks after
attempting with no success to free up the offending disk by gently launching
the vehicle against something solid like a loading dock or a tree. Alas, no
inspection plates on a TR6. I have often thought about locating the proper
spot for a 3/4" pipe plug on the bell housing for such an occasion. 

Alex Thomson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Dale Katzfey
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2013 3:49 PM
To: 6 PACK LIST
Subject: [6pack] Clutch not working

He is what has happened.
Third, pushed in the clutch and tried to get it in reverse, gears started to
Fourth, bled the lines and made sure that the slave cylinder was moving.  It

on it.

Do I have to get to the clutch or is there something else I can do to free
it up? I really don't want to pull the transmission again.

Thanks for your help.

Dale

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]