Subject: [6pack] Rebuilding Laycock clutch assembly?

From: Rob Pennington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 13:14:02 -0400

I'm in the process of putting my car back on the road after letting it sit in
the barn for about five years due to work constraints.

It is a sort of lucky 'barn find' and I have removed mouse nests and piles of
chewed up acorns and hickory nuts from interior corners after pulling the
seats out and five years of dirt and bird droppings from the exterior.

One of the fun parts is figuring out what to do about a replacement clutch.
The A-type transmission is out of the car now and a rebuilt J-type is ready to
go in.   The engine is mostly stock and the car is going to be a daily driver,
which is what I had been using it for before parking it in the barn.

I have a Laycock clutch disk and pressure plate on a spare motor that I am
wondering about rebuilding instead of using the new parts that I have.

I already had a Luk clutch disk and pressure plate with a Gunst bearing on the
shelf for a few years that I had planned to put in but am now reconsidering.

The new Luk pp has fingers that look odd to me as they aren't flat.  Instead
they have a concave curve that poit upwards if it is laid face down.    If the
fingers were longer they would intersect in a point somewhere back in the
transmission.   Is this normal?

Any opinions on rebuilding the Laycock parts versus new Luk parts?   Anyone
have any experience with clutch rebuilders that they would be willing to
share?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Rob

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]