Subject: Re: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:26:00 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with Grego about his procedure.  I personally add one step on my 1976
TR6.    After releasing the side snaps and front clamps, I pull the top  away
from the bows.  I then stow the hardware before folding in the side windows
and then folding the back over the folded in side windows.  The cover will
then easily fit over the folded top and I have never had an issue with either
the top or "windows" being damaged.   If you keep the top from being wrinkled
as it is stowed, simply folded it will last a long time.
David Gill
1976 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: grego <[email-masked]>
To: Zimmerman, John <[email-masked]>; 6pack <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm
Subject: Re: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

I am sure there is a utube or some other description on line.
I was taught to unsnap the cover entirely (along the body) after releasing
the
front clamps, then pull the cover back away from the frame bows. I fold the
side windows in before I tuck the cover down. Haven't done it for a while and
don't have it in front of me. Seems like it is fairly obvious how to fold the
sides in without putting hardware against the window plastic. You want to
avoid that.
The most important bit is to remember to pull the cover back away from the
bows and especially away from the folding side rails. Otherwise those side
rails will tear the cover. My two cars both came with torn tops because the
previous owner tried to fold it down without pulling the cover back. :(
-grego

-----Original Message-----
From: Zimmerman, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 02:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

I've re-entered the hobby and have a question about taking the top down.
Iseem
to remember s procedure from years ago about folding the side wings acertain
way so the windows ddn't get damaged. Is this information
stillavailable?Also,
a suggestion for a gas lead additive, maybe something that can bepurchased
locally.

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: "Zimmerman, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:49:09 -0400

Dave,

Thank you for the additional info.  I just watched the you tube video from
Triumph Rescue.  It only took 8 minutes, but it was informative.

John Zimmerman

Traffic Supervisor

Sumitomo (SHI) Demag - Plastics Machinery

Van Dorn Demag Corp.

11792 Alameda Drive

Strongsville, Ohio  44149

PH: 440-876-6251

FAX: 440-876-6428

www.sumitomo-shi-demag.us

www.vandorndemag.com

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:26 PM
To: [email-masked]; Zimmerman, John; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

David Gill

1976 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: Zimmerman, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 02:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of image001.png]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of image002.png]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:49:17 -0400

Certainly good points raised. I used to just fold mine in as described. On
my TR3, the whole top comes away and I put it into my trunk. As a precaution
to avoid more scratches I use a terry cloth towel (not embroidered ;-)  )
After quite a few years it has not harmed it, But that's just my experience,
not saying I speak for all.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:27 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

Robert,

I don't know if anyone has tried this or not.  I would probably advise
against it and my sense is that if it were a good practice either the top
manufacturers or someone on the list would give a personal testimonial.  My
experience is that the vinyl windows do very well against the top material
without this padding.  I have had other situations where vinyl of various
types gets a pattern embedded into it when pressed against a cloth material,
particularly when it goes through a few heating cycles, as these tops do in
the summer days and nights.  This may or may not happen with the vinyl in
these tops.  I really don't know enough about it to make a recommendation,
but in over 15 years of folding and unfolding my top, I have never had a
problem with the vinyl windows.  As they say, your mileage may vary and this
is only my $.02 worth.

David Gill

1976 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert <[email-masked]>
To: davgil <[email-masked]>; grego <[email-masked]>; john.zimmerman
<[email-masked]>; 6pack <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Sep 26, 2013 4:10 pm
Subject: RE: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

Has anyone ever thought of putting a nice terry cloth towel to protect the
"windows'  Maybe you can go overboard and have one made up with the TR6 Logo
on it, include the year and even match the color of the towel to the car!
Oh, maybe a little overboard. Look for them for sale on E-Bay next year!

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:26 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING
 
I agree with Grego about his procedure.  I personally add one step on my
1976
TR6.    After releasing the side snaps and front clamps, I pull the top
away
from the bows.  I then stow the hardware before folding in the side windows
and then folding the back over the folded in side windows.  The cover will
then easily fit over the folded top and I have never had an issue with
either
the top or "windows" being damaged.   If you keep the top from being
wrinkled
as it is stowed, simply folded it will last a long time.
David Gill
1976 TR6

-----Original Message-----
From: grego <[email-masked]>
To: Zimmerman, John <[email-masked]>; 6pack <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thu, Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm
Subject: Re: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING

I am sure there is a utube or some other description on line.
I was taught to unsnap the cover entirely (along the body) after releasing
the front clamps, then pull the cover back away from the frame bows. I fold
the side windows in before I tuck the cover down. Haven't done it for a
while and don't have it in front of me. Seems like it is fairly obvious how
to fold the sides in without putting hardware against the window plastic.
You want to avoid that.
The most important bit is to remember to pull the cover back away from the
bows and especially away from the folding side rails. Otherwise those side
rails will tear the cover. My two cars both came with torn tops because the
previous owner tried to fold it down without pulling the cover back. :(
-grego
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Zimmerman, John [mailto:[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 02:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6pack] SOFT TOP STOWING
 
I've re-entered the hobby and have a question about taking the top down.
Iseem
to remember s procedure from years ago about folding the side wings acertain
way so the windows ddn't get damaged. Is this information
stillavailable?Also, a suggestion for a gas lead additive, maybe something
that can bepurchased locally.
 
-----Original Message-----________________________________________
 
[email-masked]

 
[email-masked]
 
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: im sloane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:01:32 +0000

Great video. Note there are two schools of thought. I think someone had
indicated they fold their sides in before folding down the middle, and I (like
the video) do it the other way. Fold it all back, then once the frame is down,
fold it all back toward the front, then fold the sides in and then the middle
down. The result is the 'ears' of the corners are on top of everything.

One step I have always done is to zip out the rear window and let it hang down
first. Then it's not involved in any of the folding.

You're not installing a new top, but while the soft topic is open: Have you
ever noticed that the inner edge of the corner windows get's folded no matter
how hard you try? The video makes it look like it's possible to not fold that
corner, but I have no idea how this can be done. What I did on the 73 was to
put an extra snap. I had noticed that Spitfires have 4 snaps on each side, so
now I have 4 snaps on each side too. I just made that 4th spot a snap too.
This way I can completely fold the corner windows in on the material between
it and the rear window and never fold the corner of plastic.

Sloane :o)

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:49:09 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]

[email-masked]