Subject: [6pack] Stromberg question

From: im sloane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 18:46:47 +0000

Hi guys,

My new project is a 72 Spitfire. So I hope you don't mind a cross model
question or two, as I trust this list extremely.

I'm having trouble getting the carb (cute little thing only has one) adjusted
properly. I 'rebuilt' it, meaning I took it apart, cleaned it up some, and
replaced all the 'obvious' parts from a rebuild kit. I didn't use any of the
little O-rings as I wasn't certain where they went. So I'm sure I haven't done
a great job. I understand (from various websites) that the first task of
adjustment is to get the idle at about 900. When it warms up, it wants to
float up to about 2000. I have the little adjustment tool, and I noticed that
when I push the piston down with the outer thingie, the idle drops down. The
piston floats back up a bit elsewise. Something I read made me think I could
have a weak piston spring. I do have the idle screw backed all the way out.

Suggestions?

Sloane :-)

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 14:04:57 -0600

> question or two, as I trust this list extremely.

You may want to subscribe to the Team.Net spitfires list, if you have 
not already
done so.

In general the inability to get a smooth, consistent idle is due to air 
leaks in the
intake system or the carb butterfly not closing properly due to linkage 
issues
or being misaligned.  Assuming of course, it isn't an electrical problem.

But the easiest is to check for air leaks in the manifold gaskets, so 
I'd do that first.

mjb.

[email-masked]