Subject: [6pack] windshield "chrome"

From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:59:01 -0600

the little piece of plastic chrome that covers the joint fell off.  perhaps
because its too short?  (which it is).

where/how do I get a longer piece?

________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 20:33:34 +0000 (GMT)

The Roadster Factory part # 611437/p--$3.94.  Yes--they shrink.

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Dave wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Ed McGuirk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 21:45:33 -0500

I do not think the chrome strip shrinks, it actually relaxes into the 
corners over time causing the gap to expand. You can install a new 
chrome strip and leave the ends overlapping while the chrome strip gets 
used to the new shape or if you decide to cut and reposition the old 
chrome strip so that you can use two evenly spaced trim clips you will 
probably find that the old chrome strip will "shrink" again after a few 
weeks.

[email-masked]

---

From: David Friedlander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:02:17 -0500

My chromed-plastic trim strip now has a gap of almost 3 inches. I installed
it about 5 years ago. That's quite a bit of "shrinkage" wherever that gap
comes from. TRF sell the 611437 chromed "joint clip" in a length of 1-1/2"
or their 611437/175 which is 1-3/4" or 611437/200 which is 2" long. None of
these will cover the gap I now have in my trim strip. They ought to sell
the "joint clip" by the foot or else create the chromed trim strip out of a
plastic that either doesn't shrink or is simply cut several inches longer
than the original 613958 trim strip length....

Dave Friedlander
'74 Six
Maine

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Ed McGuirk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> corners over time causing the gap to expand. You can install a new chrome
> strip and leave the ends overlapping while the chrome strip gets used to
> the new shape or if you decide to cut and reposition the old chrome strip
> so that you can use two evenly spaced trim clips you will probably find
> that the old chrome strip will "shrink" again after a few weeks.

[email-masked]

---

From: Gene Holtzclaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:30:33 -0500

Did all TR6s come with plastic? I have metal trim, with two metal pieces that
cover the gaps. I bought it years ago, and have just replaced my windshield
and gasket. Been trying to work up the nerve to put this metal one in.
Concerned I'm going to damage it putting it in

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

David Friedlander <[email-masked]> wrote:

Dave Friedlander
'74 Six
Maine

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: James_ TR6 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 00:17:17 +0000

I replaced my chrome strip a year or so ago.It is 'easily' fitted by GENTLY
using a big rubber mallet and tap it in inch by inch.but, I too had some
shrinkage. actually, very soon after installing. i even let it sit in the sun
for a day or so before trimming, but clearly the shrinkage took longer to set
in. ugh. huge gap now.
and a word of caution. this strip is needed to help encourage tight fitting of
the much needed gasket.without it, rain will work itself in with ease and
slowly cause damage to the dash. yup, experience talking. and you'll go
bonkers wondering how the damage occurred. until you drive one day during a
light rain and see a tiny bit of water coming in around the glass seal and
dripping behind the dash andgetting absorbed by the beautiful original dash
board. forcing you to buy a new one.but the cause of the leak was not the
missing chrome strip - just exhausted w/s seal. but when i replaced the seal,
i realized i quickly needed to replace the chrome strip to make a tight / snug
fit. or i would have a bigger leakage problem.
my two cents.
-james

[email-masked]